initial timing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramair

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe 351W
1973 Cougar Convertible(sold)
1966 Mercury Comet 202
1985 F150 4X4
1989 Mercury Cougar XR7
1962 Ford Fairlane
I need an idea where to set my initial timing on my engine. The engine is a 97 Ford 5.8 that I put in my 73 Mustang. It is basically stock except for the Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600 cfm carb, headers and an MSD didtributor with a 6AL box. The stock setting for a 97 5.8 is around 6-8 degrees. I set mine at 10 degrees initial and have no starter lag or pinging. I was wondering if I could get more out of it or if 10 degrees is enough or too much?

No set answer. The engine build and the car will influence the optimum timing for any combination.

If it runs good at 10, try 12. You can keep bumping it up until you start to get pinging under load, then back it off a little.

One trick is to use a vacuum gauge. Set your initial timing to whatever point you have the highest manifold vacuum. Drive it and if it doesn't ping you are good. If it does, back it off a little at a time until it stops pinging. If you end up backing it off several degrees then you will want to consider recurving your distributor.

Keep in mind that as you increase initial timing you are also adding to your total advance.

So if your initial timing is 6 and total is 36, when you bump to initial timing of 10 your total advance goes to 40.

Back