Interior Reproduction Parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello mpproducts,

What are the chances of bringing the Hardtop, coupe rear interior quarter trim panels to production? I agree with Flatback72, if you are going to reproduce parts for the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs, by gone, please make the product fit and finish just as good or better than the the original part. There is too many cheap reproduction parts being made out there!

mustang7173

DSCF6270.JPGDSCF6272.JPGDSCF6273.JPGDSCF6274.JPG

Thank you very much for taking the time to request feedback from our forum.

One thing I would like is to replace my 72 fastback quarter trims, but there have been reports from people that have bought them that the fastback quarter panels you sell at the moment have quality issues. A couple that I remember are that trimming is required to fit the floor, misalignment of mounting holes, front lip on the repop panel doesn't suit the Mustang windlace, and that the quarter trims are made from material that is way too thin.

Is this feedback that you have heard before? Because if the above is true then it sounds like some minor tweaks to the design could make a big difference in the usability (and hence the desirability) of these parts. I know I've personally been turned off by the feedback and I'm just waiting for the day that someone reports that they bought some quarter trims made of suitably solid material that dropped straight in without any mods and look great to boot. When I hear that I will open up my wallet in anticipation!

7PqCZam.jpg

I am sorry, I have been completely unaware of the feedback, which is why, when I heard about it, I immediately turned to you all. I do have to add that, with most of our parts, you may have to do some trimming (addressing about the floor). We did it that way because with a lot of older cars, there are so many differentials that we decided to leave enough room for those circumstances. We figured it was best to give too much, instead of too little. I do realize it is a hassle for some people, but it was the only way to account for everyone. Now, seeing that a lot of people don't like it that way, would it be possible to tell me exactly how much modification is needed. Maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere so that you don't have to trim as much. I don't know exactly how much is too much. That's why I'm hoping someone here could help me.

For the mounting holes, would it be better to leave off the mounting holes altogether so that you could drill yourself? That way, you can get the holes square to what you need. For the convertibles, we leave off the holes for boot for the same reason (differentials) so if it would be better for you all to leave off the mounting holes, we can certainly do that.

For the upper lip not fitting the Mustang windlace, I haven't heard anything about that, but if someone could clarify for me, that would be great. Is the lip not long enough, wide enough, that kind of thing. It's something we absolutely want to address.

For the material, the ABS we use in 1/8" thick. During the vacuum-forming process, some places may become thinner but we adhere an additional piece of backing to it. It's not really needed, just put as a precaution. There are certainly pros and cons between ABS and fiberglass. With the ABS, it won't crack like the fiberglass, so putting the holes on the boot (even if it feels thin) won't damage or crack it. If it ever does, that means the plastic is bad and we need to know about it immediately, which we will replace at no cost to you. With fiberglass, you get the extra thickness, but it's not flexible. Let me ask, if we made it out of a thicker material, would you be willing to pay more for the part? We considered making it thicker, but we would have to raise the price for them and consequently afraid that people would be turned away from it for that reason (especially in this economy). The plastic would be 1/16" thicker and it's a significant difference. It's a fire retardant material but it's quite a bit more on our end. Without doing the correct calculations, it would probably raise the price a good $50-$75. Is this something you all would be on board for?

I hope this has opened the doors for discussion for all of you. I would like your input. We really do appreciate your feedback. I am hoping to get on other forums (for other years) and do the same thing. So, you are teaching me how this all works. Thank you again!

MP products:

Do you have some sort of satisfaction grantee should someone purchase one of this products? Refund and paid return shipping perhaps?

Have you made any revisions to your products that you might expand on?

Thoughts/Comments:

I like to use the example of the Dynacorn hoods. I have heard nothing but good things about this product. Because of the favorable reviews I will also be purchasing their front and rear valance along with their ram air system. There are cheaper alternatives but I won't take the chance.

I see a lot of responses for products that MP Product already makes. I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has used these products or would be willing to take the plunge and purchase them and provide feedback. I too have seem mostly less favorable reviews of similar quarter trim and kick panel products(I'm not sure if they were all MP products) so I'm on the fence. Reviews that I've read on this and other sites specific to MP are fitment and texture matching. Attaching MP offerings.

mp products.gif

I think you will be getting a lot of call for interior rear quarters for the vert, most of them got hacked at some point for speakers.

Will you be making then in different colours?
In our early years, we dabbled in colors but were finding that if they were a tad off in color, we had to fix it, costing us too much in time and money. Most people are ok with coloring themselves. We've personally used ColorBond and Mustangs Unlimited's brand and they've worked wonderfully for us, especially in the vinyl-covered panels. It would be nice to revisit it and maybe offer some basic color choices. I will definitely bring it up in our next meeting and see what we can come up with. I do get a lot of requests for different colors.

Hello mpproducts,

What are the chances of bringing the Hardtop, coupe rear interior quarter trim panels to production? I agree with Flatback72, if you are going to reproduce parts for the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs, by gone, please make the product fit and finish just as good or better than the the original part. There is too many cheap reproduction parts being made out there!

mustang7173
As long as we have a large demand, we can start the process. Whenever there's an idea for a new part, we bring it up in our meeting and see what the consensus is and we research the market, ask customers (you all), ask distributors if they ever get any requests and then start the mold-making process. Sometimes tooling has started and stopped because there wasn't enough demand, so if we started tooling a quarter panel 10 years ago and stopped for lack of demand, we may have one already started and I don't know about it. Trends come and go, so we have revisit projects every now and then. That's another purpose of this thread; realizing the needs and wants of car enthusiasts "on the field."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for taking the time to request feedback from our forum.

One thing I would like is to replace my 72 fastback quarter trims, but there have been reports from people that have bought them that the fastback quarter panels you sell at the moment have quality issues. A couple that I remember are that trimming is required to fit the floor, misalignment of mounting holes, front lip on the repop panel doesn't suit the Mustang windlace, and that the quarter trims are made from material that is way too thin.

Is this feedback that you have heard before? Because if the above is true then it sounds like some minor tweaks to the design could make a big difference in the usability (and hence the desirability) of these parts. I know I've personally been turned off by the feedback and I'm just waiting for the day that someone reports that they bought some quarter trims made of suitably solid material that dropped straight in without any mods and look great to boot. When I hear that I will open up my wallet in anticipation!

7PqCZam.jpg
I am sorry, I have been completely unaware of the feedback, which is why, when I heard about it, I immediately turned to you all. I do have to add that, with most of our parts, you may have to do some trimming (addressing about the floor). We did it that way because with a lot of older cars, there are so many differentials that we decided to leave enough room for those circumstances. We figured it was best to give too much, instead of too little. I do realize it is a hassle for some people, but it was the only way to account for everyone. Now, seeing that a lot of people don't like it that way, would it be possible to tell me exactly how much modification is needed. Maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere so that you don't have to trim as much. I don't know exactly how much is too much. That's why I'm hoping someone here could help me.

For the mounting holes, would it be better to leave off the mounting holes altogether so that you could drill yourself? That way, you can get the holes square to what you need. For the convertibles, we leave off the holes for boot for the same reason (differentials) so if it would be better for you all to leave off the mounting holes, we can certainly do that.

For the upper lip not fitting the Mustang windlace, I haven't heard anything about that, but if someone could clarify for me, that would be great. Is the lip not long enough, wide enough, that kind of thing. It's something we absolutely want to address.

For the material, the ABS we use in 1/8" thick. During the vacuum-forming process, some places may become thinner but we adhere an additional piece of backing to it. It's not really needed, just put as a precaution. There are certainly pros and cons between ABS and fiberglass. With the ABS, it won't crack like the fiberglass, so putting the holes on the boot (even if it feels thin) won't damage or crack it. If it ever does, that means the plastic is bad and we need to know about it immediately, which we will replace at no cost to you. With fiberglass, you get the extra thickness, but it's not flexible. Let me ask, if we made it out of a thicker material, would you be willing to pay more for the part? We considered making it thicker, but we would have to raise the price for them and consequently afraid that people would be turned away from it for that reason (especially in this economy). The plastic would be 1/16" thicker and it's a significant difference. It's a fire retardant material but it's quite a bit more on our end. Without doing the correct calculations, it would probably raise the price a good $50-$75. Is this something you all would be on board for?

I hope this has opened the doors for discussion for all of you. I would like your input. We really do appreciate your feedback. I am hoping to get on other forums (for other years) and do the same thing. So, you are teaching me how this all works. Thank you again!

MP roducts,

"Without doing the correct calculations, it would probably raise the price a good $50-$75"

If you work out the fitment issues and make a close-to-exact reproduction(texture, form, fitment) of these quarter trim panels I would venture to guess that you could easily command $50/$75 more. For the convertible panels which are impossible to find i would suspect that you could get twice what you charge. Just look at the repro door panels. They are getting $350 and they have big issues on fitment as well.

MP products:

Do you have some sort of satisfaction grantee should someone purchase one of this products? Refund and paid return shipping perhaps?

Have you made any revisions to your products that you might expand on?

Thoughts/Comments:

I like to use the example of the Dynacorn hoods. I have heard nothing but good things about this product. Because of the favorable reviews I will also be purchasing their front and rear valance along with their ram air system. There are cheaper alternatives but I won't take the chance.

I see a lot of responses for products that MP Product already makes. I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has used these products or would be willing to take the plunge and purchase them and provide feedback. I too have seem mostly less favorable reviews of similar quarter trim and kick panel products(I'm not sure if they were all MP products) so I'm on the fence. Reviews that I've read on this and other sites specific to MP are fitment and texture matching. Attaching MP offerings.
I certainly understand your concerns. I, too, check reviews on everything I buy. We do offer a money-back guarantee. Even if you just don't like it, send it back. No re-stocking fee. Please contact us for instructions. Depending on the situation, we will pay return postage.

I do have to note that our texture (grain) is not an exact match to the originals, but it's very very close. Now, how close is close? I guess that's up to you. I see it as exact (I'm a complete rookie). To those passing by, in a car show, it may even be exact, but to those looking extremely closely and to those that are veterans, it is not exact. In reality, it's not exact and I know that because they told me so, of course, I have disclose that. That's why if you don't like it, you can send it back. I'm hoping to improve confidence and provide everyone with a reason to give us good feedback :)

Hello mpproducts,

I am glad to see the added attention and quality in the fastback rear interior quarter trim panel. When a good quality product is purchased at a reasonable price, positive feedback will deliver growth for the product!

Thank you for your response in the hardtop (coupe) rear interior quarter panel request. I do hope that you receive more request. Trying to find decent used parts are becoming harder to find due to age UV damage.

Can you add UV protection to the ABS products?

Thank You

mustang7173 :exclamation:

I think you will be getting a lot of call for interior rear quarters for the vert, most of them got hacked at some point for speakers.

Will you be making then in different colours?
In our early years, we dabbled in colors but were finding that if they were a tad off in color, we had to fix it, costing us too much in time and money. Most people are ok with coloring themselves. We've personally used ColorBond and Mustangs Unlimited's brand and they've worked wonderfully for us, especially in the vinyl-covered panels. It would be nice to revisit it and maybe offer some basic color choices. I will definitely bring it up in our next meeting and see what we can come up with. I do get a lot of requests for different colors.

Hello mpproducts,

mustang7173
As long as we have a large demand, we can start the process. Whenever there's an idea for a new part, we bring it up in our meeting and see what the consensus is and we research the market, ask customers (you all), ask distributors if they ever get any requests and then start the mold-making process. Sometimes tooling has started and stopped because there wasn't enough demand, so if we started tooling a quarter panel 10 years ago and stopped for lack of demand, we may have one already started and I don't know about it. Trends come and go, so we have revisit projects every now and then. That's another purpose of this thread; realizing the needs and wants of car enthusiasts "on the field."

Just to let everyone know, I will be going on vacation starting tomorrow, so please forgive me if I don't respond back to you right away. I will try, but you know how it goes when you go on vacation. I will be back on Monday.

Also, I forgot to mention that we do offer samples of our plastic and vinyl if you want to see it without committing to purchasing. Just PM me your ship-to info and we'll send it to you. No hassles, no commitment, no cost to you.

Thanks! Have a good one!

Thank you for joining our site and trusting this community enough to let us assist, in a small way, in devaloping your business.

As for fitment, we all need to remember these parts are vacuum formed. A vacuum formed part will never have the detail of an original injection molded part. The vacuum forming process does reduce tooling costs which help keep the parts affordable. It's easy to be critical over some details not being "correct" but bear in mind none of us wants to pay $1000.00 a pair for quarter trim. It is likely a 10x increase in price for tooling going from vac forming to hard tooling for a mold.

No, this is not a paid advertisement for MP Products. :D Thanks again! How about a name to go with the screen name?

Thank you for joining our site and trusting this community enough to let us assist, in a small way, in devaloping your business.

As for fitment, we all need to remember these parts are vacuum formed. A vacuum formed part will never have the detail of an original injection molded part. The vacuum forming process does reduce tooling costs which help keep the parts affordable. It's easy to be critical over some details not being "correct" but bear in mind none of us wants to pay $1000.00 a pair for quarter trim. It is likely a 10x increase in price for tooling going from vac forming to hard tooling for a mold.

No, this is not a paid advertisement for MP Products. :D Thanks again! How about a name to go with the screen name?
Thank you so much for that! You are right; we try to keep costs down as much as possible. The owners (father & son) started out fixing up a '66 Mustang and back then it was even harder to come across good reproductions at a decent price. At the time, no one was producing the parts they needed. So, with their background in vacuum-forming, metal casting, and tooling, they decided to make the parts themselves and then they realized that more people were looking for those same parts, but didn't want to spend a small fortune to get them and MP Products was born. That was in 1996. There are some pros and cons to dealing with the plastic vs. fiberglass and it's really the taste of the car owner to see what they prefer. I don't get offended with suggestions or comments; I want to help make this company better and the only way to do that is if we speak to the people we are trying to sell to. If there's an issue, we want to know so we can fix it and/or make it better.

A little about myself:

My name is Lysandra. I'm 31 and have been working (in various positions, including vacuum-forming) for MP Products for close to 8 years. I am familiar with most of our parts, as I have not only participated in making them, but I'm out there fitting them and doing install instructions where needed. I own a '65 Fastback myself that I'm planning to resto-mod. I've had that car since I was 18. It was a graduation present. Back then, I fixed it up, just enough to get it on the road and drive me to work and college. (that's all I could afford) After so many break-downs and hiccups, I couldn't afford to fix it anymore and bought a used car, but I have been lugging this car around from place to place, California to Arizona, never wanting to give it up. So, now, I've finally set aside enough to fix it the way I WANT. MP Products has a sub-business called Elite Classic Customs (our restoration shop). They finished a '68 Coupe that's going to the Russo & Steele auction in Vegas. They just finished an '82 El Camino. They are doing some work on a '70 Cheville (not a full restoration). There's an '89 Foxbody Mustang that's awaiting it's paint and interior and a '67 Coupe that's next to be restored. Then, there's mine. So, I have been placed on a waiting list ;) I may not be as knowledgeable as most, if not all, of you, but I do love the classics. And everyone that works here has the same affinity and love for cars. Thank you to everyone for your valuable input. I really can't express it enough; we really do appreciate it.

Thanks for joining the forum. As far as a market for interior panels, I think all the 71-73 body styles are a possible gold mine.

I recently purchased a LH corner interior panel for my 71 fastback with fold down, $325. It had a corner broken off, but was repaired. It has since broken off again. I was not able to get the RH one. 2 weeks later I landed a pair for @250. They are in need of repair as in gouges that need to be filled and plastic rot that needs to be filled.

A good high quality set of interior panels I would be willing to pay premium because I won't have to rework them and try to figure out how to repair them.

I am curious as to what you are using to create your molds. Are you using dimensions taken from cars you have come across or do you have good originals to duplicate?

Again, thanks for showing an interest in the interior panels and other pieces because we RREEAALLYY need them.

Thanks for joining the forum. As far as a market for interior panels, I think all the 71-73 body styles are a possible gold mine.

I recently won on a popular auction site a LH corner interior panel for my 71 fastback with fold down, $325. It had a corner broken off, but was repaired. It has since broken off again. I was not able to get the RH one. 2 weeks later I landed a pair for @250. They are in need of repair as in gouges that need to be filled and plastic rot that needs to be filled.

The panels right behind the doors I have an original black pair I am planning to dye ginger and rework the windlace etc.

I personally do not have any experience with your products, but like many others I have heard horror stories of poor quality, thin construction, texture not right, etc. I don't know who else manufactures these so I don't know if they were yours or not. As far as fitment, trimming I don't think is a big deal at the bottom where it is covered by the seat, but how it actually fits to the body by the door jamb and window is more critical.

You mentioned if the price increased to make them from a thicker material the price would go up. A good high quality set of interior panels I would be willing to pay premium because I won't have to deal with old ones and reworking them and try to figure out how to repair them. I am afraid I will get so much time and effort into the pair I have and then good repo will come out.

I am curious as to what you are using to create your molds. Are you using dimensions taken from cars you have come across or do you have good originals to duplicate?

Again, thanks for showing an interest in the interior panels and other pieces because we RREEAALLYY need them.

Hello, ::welcome:: to the site. Nice to have a name. I along with many others, are always searching for interior parts. I have read the posting and plan on checking out your products for future needs. I agree with the members and am thankful you are willing to shed some light on the process of making repo parts to satisfy some of the pickiest Mustang owners.:p Good luck on your growth in your business as well as on this site. :)

It has been very quiet on this thread for a long time. Has anybody on this forum purchased any of the ( convertible ) quarter panels or seat backs for the 71-73 mustang from mp products recently?

I am interested in these parts and would like to know how they fit! They seem to be the only ones that reproduce the convertible quarter panels....

http://www.mpproductsstore.com/radiator-masks.html

I bought a pair of the fastback panels (ABS) a few years ago, and I'm pleased with them.  I painted them with SEM interior color products and they turned out great.

Just like with any repop parts, there will be 'adjustments' necessary to get them fitted properly - especially if you have thicker carpet and/or sound deadener installed.  But, they're in, look great, and I think they'll last longer than the factory pieces.

I bought a pair of the fastback panels (ABS) a few years ago, and I'm pleased with them.  I painted them with SEM interior color products and they turned out great.

Just like with any repop parts, there will be 'adjustments' necessary to get them fitted properly - especially if you have thicker carpet and/or sound deadener installed.  But, they're in, look great, and I think they'll last longer than the factory pieces.
Thanks!  It might be a good alternative then instead of trying to restore the original panels.

Yes I have the interior quarters installed on my very. I was changing to all black and my originals had speaker holes in them I don't want. They were a bit painful to install, a few cuts and snips here and there and the door weatherstrip is difficult to install. They are also much more flimsy material (thin) so they flex a lot. Where I wanted them to be more solid I took flat pieces of ABS plastic and added to the back with ABS glue to make them a little stiffer in that spot. Works very well. Anyway here's what they look like after a "bit" of effort.

208571e4e0598b83fda565cc9dabd65d.jpg

e060305e4b92d171511977645c624758.jpg

c416caa0f7bfb60eb7f50fce5ab423ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the photo's! It is the first time I see the shoulder harness belts in a convertible! Good to know there is an alternative,even if it is a bit of work to make them fit . The result looks very nice !

Yeah many put the belts neat where the b pillar would be on a hard top. It I found that position to be too low for me. I had to have shoulder belts in Australia or no registration:) What you see is my solution. I have never seen anyone else do it like that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back