Is the 1971-73 Vert the best looking one?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't want to be the bad guy hahaha but the 1970 Shelby convertible I think is my fave. I am in no way a vert guy. I like my roofs solid but if I had to choose it would be the 1970 Shelby.

1969-1970-ford-mustang-20.jpg

don't want to be the bad guy hahaha but the 1970 Shelby convertible I think is my fave. I am in no way a vert guy. I like my roofs solid but if I had to choose it would be the 1970 Shelby.
Bassplayers... phooey! :dodgy:

Why does it have that handle bar?

Bassplayers... phooey! :dodgy:

Why does it have that handle bar?
:rofl:

The only possible exception for me would be the 69/70 shelby's. I really like how those look. For production cars the 71-73 was best looking drop top with the cleanest lines.
I have always been of the opinion that after Ford ended the contract with Shelby in 1970, and Shelby had sold off the rest of his 1969 cars as 1970's, that Ford had styled the 71-73 mustangs using many of the cues from the Shelby 69-70. clearly the front end draws on the Shelby design. One item though; the cars 73 fat lower lip detracts from the appeal of the original design. Crash testing mandated the larger bumper but Ford did a weak job since the Mustang was killed after 1973. The chrome metal bumpers on the 71-72 works with the front end lines best. but that's only an opinion.

Im not bias to any of them...I never owned a vert.....But for me...I always like the really decked out ones...So i tend to lean to shelby verts my self...But 71-73 are one of the best looking over all too me..Specialy if they have the nasa hood and such...Nothing against you plain hood guys ;) I just think the nasa hood realy makes them cars look like a diffrent beasty.

Prob being older than most owners here, I was very a big fan of the 71-73's. But for some reason when looking for a new toy over the last 6 months those years looking like a Mach I Tribute really grew on me, especially in Red/black/black.

Bought my 73 about 1 month ago and she's going in next week to become my Tribute. Pictures will be posted.

Sorry to say it, but hands down in my mind the 71-73 Verts are the sweetest of all Verts. They look and feel right. Drive like a dream. I myself have a 73 coupe in Resto mode. When Izzy is done and on the road, I will be searching for a 73 Vert to start taking apart. I keep dreaming!

Sorry to say it, but hands down in my mind the 71-73 Verts are the sweetest of all Verts. They look and feel right. Drive like a dream. I myself have a 73 coupe in Resto mode. When Izzy is done and on the road, I will be searching for a 73 Vert to start taking apart. I keep dreaming!
Picture says it all

DSC04076 (Mobile).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Why yes. Yes it is!

Not only are they the best looking Mustang convertible, they look equally as good with the top up (perhaps even better).

My favorite of all is this New York-tagged 1972 that showed up on Wikimedia Commons. There's nothing quite original to it; yet, the eclectic color combination is fantastic:

800px-Mustang_1972_Convertible.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the red interior with the blue exterior.
Indeed - and someone decided to mimic the scheme of a Mach without side stripes, complete with the molding.

-Kurt
The molding and the stripes are part of the Decor option available on the converts too. Mine is factory option with the black stripe:

DSCF0812.jpg

DSCF0813.jpg

Not only are they the best looking Mustang convertible, they look equally as good with the top up (perhaps even better).

My favorite of all is this New York-tagged 1972 that showed up on Wikimedia Commons. There's nothing quite original to it; yet, the eclectic color combination is fantastic:

-Kurt
look at the bumper guards nothing I have seen bigger and longer

-Kurt
There was one medium blue & vermillion car made in 72; it was a convertible. Just sayin'.

There was one medium blue & vermillion car made in 72; it was a convertible. Just sayin'.
Sure isn't Medium Blue, or any factory blue applied to these cars (which is a shame - it's the one color shade Ford missed out on).

It is quite a bit darker than 1973's Blue Glow as well.

-Kurt

Back