lights and dash lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
My lights only stay on for a minute or to then flicker off I know that is a common problem with the headlights switch but what about the dash lights they don't work at all I checked all bulbs and the circuit board on the back of cluster and used a 9 volt battery where the connecter goes and it lit up fine so I am not getting power from the switch or I have a bad ground which terminal is what and where can I connect the 9volt batt to the switch plug to test the wires going to the cluster and can all of it just be switch related. Please help.

Quick thought...kick/wiggle your bright beam dimmer foot switch. That son of gun wreaked havoc on me for a few months before I figured it out.

Believe me, it was the last thing I though of. Replaced it at Autozone for $10. They even had one in stock.

Well, the dimmer switch is not related to the dash lamps. It's possible that your fuse is blown, or that your headlight switch rheostat is bad, or...the knob is not rotated to the proper direction.

You can measure the voltage on both sides of the smallest fuse on the fuse block while your headlight knob is pulled out. One side is from the headlight switch; the other side are all of your dash lamps.

Back