Look what the daughter bought

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973grandeklar

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V
1972 Mustang 'Q' code Mach 1
Well she had been wanting a vehicle for about 6 months and she will be starting college classes this fall at the local community college. Found this on CL:

1986 F150 with a 5.0L and automatic. Runs and drives asking $1000.

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

We went to go see it last night and test drove it. Offered $800 and the took it with no haggling. Well that got me a little nervous, but the truck did sound good and drove straight.

I drove the truck home about 50+ miles and had no issues. I am going to pull all the wheels and check the brakes, the front two tires are worn with little tread depth left, and the window channel felts are mostly ripped and missing.

Sure the paint is faded and some surface rust on the hood, but the rest of the truck is solid, interior is in great shape, transmission seems to shift fine, the motor is fairly clean (no major oil leaks), and no ticks/knocks/or rattles.

photo 1.JPG

I have to add this to the story. My three children have now formed a club. My oldest son has a 1981 F150 that he bought for $500 and fixed up. My second son bought a 1981 F150 (seen in the background of last picture) and fixed it up. This 1986 is the same body style and nearly everything is interchagable amoungst these three trucks. My second son gave his sister the LMC truck catalog and told her "Welcome to the F150 club!" Makes a dad proud that siblings get along and share interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey 73grandeklar, Welcome to the 7th Gen F150 club!

I've got an 86 F150 short wheel base, regular cab, that looks very much like the truck your daughter bought. Is your daughters truck Shadow Blue Metallic, code 7B?

Here's a picture of mine.

My father-in-law bought it new in 86 and gave it to me around 97 or 98. It started life with the 4.9L but I'm doing a frame off resto-mod on it, and it now has a 408W stroker. I lowered it 3 inches up front, 5 inches out back, boxed the frame, custom dual exhaust, eaton posi, etc. You get the idea. Currently, it's at Bay One Customs up in Springfield, TN for body work and paint, and I think I might let TC finish up the plumbing, wiring, and interior just to get it done. That way I can spend more time on the mustang. ;)

I've got an 86 F150 short wheel base, regular cab, that looks very much like the truck your daughter bought. Is your daughters truck Shadow Blue Metallic, code 7B?

My father-in-law bought it new in 86 and gave it to me around 97 or 98. It started life with the 4.9L but I'm doing a frame off resto-mod on it, and it now has a 408W stroker. I lowered it 3 inches up front, 5 inches out back, boxed the frame, custom dual exhaust, eaton posi, etc. You get the idea. Currently, it's at Bay One Customs up in Springfield, TN for body work and paint, and I think I might let TC finish up the plumbing, wiring, and interior just to get it done. That way I can spend more time on the mustang. ;)
Sweet! I have not decoded the truck for original color, but the inside of the doors appears to be a light blue. The truck is painted a black (and not very good at that). I talked to my daughter and we may just give it a quick spray in satin black, blackout the grill, and remove the badges. Do the whole stealth federal government vehicle look. About the only upgrade she would like to make in the near future is add a dual exhaust. It currently has a y-pipe into a single exhaust. Also, she would like to restore the A/C to operating condition. It appears to all be there, but the pump will not turn on. Will check, but my guess is the freon has leaked out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet! I have not decoded the truck for original color, but the inside of the doors appears to be a light blue. The truck is painted a black (and not very good at that). I talked to my daughter and we may just give it a quick spray in satin black, blackout the grill, and remove the badges. Do the whole stealth federal government vehicle look. About the only upgrade she would like to make in the near future is add a dual exhaust. It currently has a y-pipe into a single exhaust. Also, she would like to restore the A/C to operating condition. It appears to all be there, but the pump will not turn on. Will check, but my guess is the freon has leaked out.
If the compressor won't cut on, will the clutch engage and disengage. My guess is the compressor has gone, which means that you'll need not only a new compressor, but condensor, drier, and orifice tube. Fortunately, in these trucks, that's SOooo much easier than in something like a Focus. But it will drive without AC, so it's not critical, but it sure is nicer with it. :)

Latest posts

Back