Looking for some paint advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for those of you that have done the hood/rocker blackout. Did you base/clear the entire car first, then scuff up areas to blackout? Or did you prep off blackout areas before you did the base/clear?

I am thinking it would be easy enough to prep the rockers off before base/clear, but the hood will obviously require the stencil. I could probably just do a rough approximation of the hood blackout and scuff up the edges afterwards before blackout???

Any insight would be welcome!

Thanks!
Oddly enough, my painter painted the hood and rockers black, used the template to mask off the black area in negative, then shot the body color and cleared the whole thing (I didn't want flat/satin blacks). The TuTone template is designed to be applied to a car that already has the base color, so my guy did it backwards. Oh well - I'm just happy it's all shiny again (it was a mess when I got it - my avatar pic is what I started with).

Last edited:
So, I went ahead and used a Nason Base/Clear system for the red. The paint turned out pretty good, but have some sanding/buffing to do yet. I went ahead and painted the whole hood with the base/clear and used the stencil from Graphics Express. I scuffed up the blackout area and painted with SEM Hot Rod Black single stage. I am pretty happy with how it turned out (not too bad for a total beginner if I do say so myself ;)).

More pics to come once I get it out of the booth and sand/buff done.
Looks great! Nice job!

Your car came out nice, but I can't believe Graphics Express is able to sell that stencil that clearly was not made properly. I'm talking about the distance of the start of the blackout from the front of the hood. I'm pretty sure the factory hood patch was wider too. Why don't they just fix it?!! Here's a picture of a factory hood patch from one of my cars.IMG-2844 - Copy - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

Back