Lubrication

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
The front suspension on my '71 Grande squeaks like crazy. My mechanic tells me the coil spring pads are shot. We have a set, just need to borrow a spring clamp. I think it is the rubber bushings on the sway bar end pieces or frame mount. I seem to remember a mechanic using a dilute dish soap solution he sprayed on the rubber, but that was a long time ago. How do you lubricate a rubber bushing?

mike

The front suspension on my '71 Grande squeaks like crazy. My mechanic tells me the coil spring pads are shot. We have a set, just need to borrow a spring clamp. I think it is the rubber bushings on the sway bar end pieces or frame mount. I seem to remember a mechanic using a dilute dish soap solution he sprayed on the rubber, but that was a long time ago. How do you lubricate a rubber bushing?

mike
The last Ford i had that had a squeaking front end the ball joints turned loose and fell out talk about one heck of a ride with the front tires folded up under you. I would check them first to be on the safe side. Every Ford that starts to squeak that is the first thing i check now regardless to be on the safe side

Last edited by a moderator:
If my memory is correct I believe my control arm bushings use to squeak on my 73, although I could be confused with one of my other Mustangs. I just sprayed silicone on the bushings and they would quiet down.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you have the springs out you ought to grease the upper control arm bushings real good. The grease might get in there better with out pressure on it. You can use lithium grease on your sway bar bushings. Maybe doing that and replacing your spring perches will get rid of your squeaks, I know how annoying they are.

If my memory is correct I believe my control arm bushings use to squeak on my 73, although I could be confused with one of my other Mustangs. I just sprayed silicone on the bushings and they would quiet down.
Yes upper control arm bushings are notorious for squeaking. There is a kit available with 90 degree zerk fittings to allow you to grease them. I am sure Don at OMS can hook you up.

Might want to think about upgrading to roller spring perches while you are at it.

Back