M1A2 Abrams Tank - afternoon drive

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
So most days my job is REALLY routine in that I go to work and am in the office all day. Today however was not one of those days.

Once a month or so I have to travel to various military bases. I'm working on a tank project and asked to drive one on the test track. They said "can't do that but you can ride around as we run them through their paces." Good enough! That Jeff Gordon Pepsi commercial has nothing on what I did today. It was an awesome time on the track! We drove around the oval and through the various track features but my favorite is when we went full throttle up the 40 degree hill. Going up all I saw was sky, absolutely cannot see the hill because the tank is basically doing a wheelie going up the hill. At the top we slammed on the brakes and teeter tottered while I was king of the world for a few seconds because there is NOTHING out there that could take us out or make us leave until we wanted to leave! Then we launched down the backside only to again slam on the brakes mid hill skidding/sliding to a full stop that looked like the gun tube would be into the ground at the bottom of the hill. That's one MEAN beast of a machine that weighs in at over 70 tons and gets approximately 1.75 gallons per mile! For comparison a Honda accord weighs just over 1.5 tons and gets 32 miles per gallon. Pics to follow as soon as they get approved for public release.

I'm just glad we have this beast on our side of the war fighting equation!

h4EF099F2

r-ABRAMS-TANK-large570.jpg

Very cool Don..Something you never forget either..I have not got to ride in a abrams tank yet...But been in old m60's and a m3 half track for a hell of a cool ride across the desert;)...And got to clime around on them a few times and get to watch them live fire and test out...my cousin is a tanker in the marines...Here is some pictures i took while out at the yakima firing range.

sure is something else feeling the big guns going off so close...lol...Only family was aloud out there to watch them qualify...And i still had to go threw a month back groud check to do so...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool Don..Something you never forget either..I have not got to ride in a abrams tank yet...But been in old m60's and a m3 half track for a hell of a cool ride across the desert;)...And got to clime around on them a few times and get to watch them live fire and test out...my cousin is a tanker in the marines...Here is some pictures i took while out at the yakima firing range.

sure is something else feeling the big guns going off so close...lol...Only family was aloud out there to watch them qualify...And i still had to go threw a month back groud check to do so...lol
That's awesome!

Back