Mach 1 rear valance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChrisH,

Lol....No need to apologize, this is how we learn more about these cars! Sometimes you expect a one line answer, and than receive a 2 volume novel! It's all good. We are pretty civil here compared to some other forums I've been on. I know when you are dealing with a product that is produced in the hundreds of thousands that there IS going to be gray areas between the black and white lines. I try to "Gently" remind folks that unless you are the original owner or know the original owner and the car's history, you can't be sure what came on it when delivered. ALOT got changed/modified at the dealer level, even before the car was delivered. The salesmen did whatever it took to close a deal. I know what went on at the dealer cause I sold a ton of valve covers, air cleaners, spoilers, Mach1 stripes, REAR VALENCE PANELS, etc.   :whistling: If they had a fist full of green, it was theirs! Accessories and customizing parts was big money for the dealer. (And ME)!

The Mach1 craze started with the 69 and took off like crazy, enough to kill the Mustang GT after 1969. So everybody was after the Mach1 look even if their car had a 6cyl engine!

All of us here agree it's your car do what ever it takes to scratch your itch. Just.....no Chevrolet engines please!!     :D

EDIT: Chris just remembered your question about the Black on your buck tag. Can't tell from your avatar picture, but does your Mach1 have a vinyl roof? Could possibly be a a vinyl roof color as most of the interiors are identified by trim codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not at home but I'll chime in and let everyone know my 1972 Q-code 4 speed convertible that was built in July 1972 came original with the turned-down exhaust pipes, just like the Boss Mustangs. All 1972 and 1973 Q codes I have seen that appeared to be original cars have had the turned down (at 45 degree angled) tailpipes. My convertible's exhaust are original except for the tailpipes and the mufflers. Now back then I did cut the ends of the original exhausts and bought new from Ford the chrome exhaust tips and have ran them ever since. But I do plan to return it to original configuration soon!

Keep in mind I was very young back then and wanted to do a lot of foolish things to my car. Fortunately for the car my pocketbook wouldn't allow me to make such mistakes. When we got that car it had about 23,000 miles on it. We bought it in 1975.

Now it has about 75k miles.

Ray

Thanks Secluff with the buck tag question.  My car did have a 3/4 black vinyl roof.

I'm not at home but I'll chime in and let everyone know my 1972 Q-code 4 speed convertible that was built in July 1972 came original with the turned-down exhaust pipes, just like the Boss Mustangs. All 1972 and 1973 Q codes I have seen that appeared to be original cars have had the turned down (at 45 degree angled) tailpipes.  My convertible's exhaust are original except for the tailpipes and the mufflers.   Now back then I did cut the ends of the original exhausts and bought new from Ford the chrome exhaust tips and have ran them ever since.  But I do plan to return it to original configuration soon!

Keep in mind I was very young back then and wanted to do a lot of foolish things to my car.  Fortunately for the car my pocketbook wouldn't allow me to make such mistakes. When we got that car it had about 23,000 miles on it.  We bought it in 1975.

Now it has about 75k miles.

Ray
Ray,

This 1972 Q code 4 speed T-5 had the cut outs and chrome extensions. I seem to recall that one is laying inside the car on the floor. I never did get a Marti on this car but it had Ram Air on it when I purchased it off the wreck yard. A friend of mine crashed it into a steel pole was brought back from Germany by a U.S. Army Sergeant. I had his name years ago but no idea now. It had a little over 32,000 miles on it if I remember correct. Here is door tag I do not have any great pics of back of car. January 1972 date on the sticker. I will have to see if the Buck Tag is still on the car.

Back