Maier Leaf Spring Tech/swap Mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Mike Maier talks about the important features and functions of leaf springs and how they allow your car to hug the corners and provide a great riding car.

Ray

Cool video Ray. My Roadrunner project has the same number of full leaves on the left set and right however the right also has some half leaves. I was wondering why this was done this way. Looks like some of this technology was developed 46 yrs ago.

My guess is that the half-leaves are to help resist spring wind-up, especially on open differential cars where most of the torque goes to the right side.
The car has a Sure Grip 4.10 rear. It was standard on the Hemi and 6 pack cars to control body roll on hard acceleration.

I think that they would do the same thing, reduce the amount of wheel hop when you launched the car hard. I believe that the staggered shocks where meant to do the same thing too. The unequal rear leafs were used to control the roll on the car from the torque that was applied. On Plymouth's they used 6 leafs on the drivers side and 7 on the passenger to control the body roll with the half springs for wheel hop control.

I wish Maier would make an export brace for our cars. I like their design for the 70 Mustangs. Looks like it truly stiffens up the bay.

Back