Need to replace front and rear springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the information, if it's not a cure-all then I will likely nix trying to find the parts to stagger mine. I spoke with an old timer that told me they used to strap down every leaf on the front side of the spring with a leaf lock to get rid of wheel hop and axle wrap. He said it made the car more rigid as well. I will see what mine is like when I get it on the road. If it hops or wraps I will try the leaf locks and see what happens. If it doesn't work I guess it's on to traction bars and maybe even some lighter springs.
You're up early!!
I see you have quite a powerful motor in the Vert. I assume you have an open dif if you're concerned about wheel hop, which will be on the right (drive) wheel.
That is why I originally bought the Grab-A-Trak springs with the extra 1/2 leaf. The problem with those was the arch was way too much and raised the back end too high. I added lowering blocks, but later ditched them for Eaton Boss 351 springs as well as getting the rear axle modified to a Trac-Lock. I only have a stockish motor, but no more wheel hop off the "line".
By the way, I hate the look of traction bars..... unless it's on a drag car.

You're up early!!
I see you have quite a powerful motor in the Vert. I assume you have an open dif if you're concerned about wheel hop, which will be on the right (drive) wheel.
That is why I originally bought the Grab-A-Trak springs with the extra 1/2 leaf. The problem with those was the arch was way too much and raised the back end too high. I added lowering blocks, but later ditched them for Eaton Boss 351 springs as well as getting the rear axle modified to a Trac-Lock. I only have a stockish motor, but no more wheel hop off the "line".
By the way, I hate the look of traction bars..... unless it's on a drag car.
The rear gears were the first thing to go after I dropped the engine off for the rebuild. Changed from 2.75 by open to 3.5 limited slip. I would also prefer to stay away from traction bars too. Hopefully I am fretting over nothing and don’t have any issues.

The rear gears were the first thing to go after I dropped the engine off for the rebuild. Changed from 2.75 by open to 3.5 limited slip. I would also prefer to stay away from traction bars too. Hopefully I am fretting over nothing and don’t have any issues.
The Boss springs are thicker steel, but would make the ride harsh for anyone in the back seat. Perhaps look at Eaton 138 lb springs and see if they will add a 1/2 leaf to the front end. Just a thought as that is what the 4 1/2 leaf G-a-T's were supposed to be for.

Thanks for the information, if it's not a cure-all then I will likely nix trying to find the parts to stagger mine. I spoke with an old timer that told me they used to strap down every leaf on the front side of the spring with a leaf lock to get rid of wheel hop and axle wrap. He said it made the car more rigid as well. I will see what mine is like when I get it on the road. If it hops or wraps I will try the leaf locks and see what happens. If it doesn't work I guess it's on to traction bars and maybe even some lighter springs.
I did that about 1990. It works,but the car bounces or is a little rigid. As far as staggered shocks goes ,it does severely reduce hop, but it takes a longer shock on the staggered side. If you can’t find the correct shocks,you can add an extension on the threaded side. Napa sells them Balkanp $20 . If both are long , the drivers side is so compressed it could bottom out over bad bumps ,railroad tracks or speed bumps

Hi, I generally don't like high jacking on someone's tread but I have quick question. Do rear left springs degrade just because they old looking, 'somewhat' rusted, not busted?.

I have 72 Vert 351C and it was on my list to do after car for 25 years sat in my garage.

Looked at Eaton about 2 years ago and didn't pull the trigger. My car is go get an ice cream with an old man and old lady, LOL

The ass droops like they do, so why change them out. Would the ride change? Shocks are new.

Thx
TonyD

Hi, I generally don't like high jacking on someone's tread but I have quick question. Do rear left springs degrade just because they old looking, 'somewhat' rusted, not busted?.

I have 72 Vert 351C and it was on my list to do after car for 25 years sat in my garage.

Looked at Eaton about 2 years ago and didn't pull the trigger. My car is go get an ice cream with an old man and old lady, LOL

The ass droops like they do, so why change them out. Would the ride change? Shocks are new.

Thx
TonyD
If you're happy with the ride then leave it alone. The metal the leafs are made of will lose tension over time from staying loaded. The spring is just to protect the car and riders from sudden jolting when you hit uneven spots in the road. Most of us change springs because we are looking to increase resistance to the springing motion which can really help the car corner well during acceleration/deceleration or hard cornering.

Last edited:
I did that about 1990. It works,but the car bounces or is a little rigid. As far as staggered shocks goes ,it does severely reduce hop, but it takes a longer shock on the staggered side. If you can’t find the correct shocks,you can add an extension on the threaded side. Napa sells them Balkanp $20 . If both are long , the drivers side is so compressed it could bottom out over bad bumps ,railroad tracks or speed bumps
What kind of rear gears do you have in that car? Are they open 2.75's?

What kind of rear gears do you have in that car? Are they open 2.75's?
They are 3.70 with Eaton Tru Track now. Back in the 90’s when the front half of the leafs were clamped it was a 4.55 spool. It hooked so hard gas would come out the pop open cap if it was a full tank. Not a good ride,but you need to focus on your needs/have priorities. I’m older now and used Eaton springs with Delum bushings and shackles and standard shocks I used 10” Magnum 500 wheels with Cooper Cobra 195/50-15 tires. It hood well and looks basically stock

Correction it was 4.88 gears. I don’t recommend this…. My upper quarter panels 6” below the sides of the window soon looked like wavy water and poor drivability. In left hand turns at a light it would hit second gear in the apex of the turn and in damp roads it would spin around. If ever there was a stupid mistake… I’ve done it. I later lost control of it with narrow tire on it and went off the road and and hit a small brick light on a drive. This wasted the front half of the car….So . This is a whole new body on this car. I used a donor car and put my drive train in it. Well now you can laugh at my childish ways. I just hope 12 years to restore my donor car and my previous drive train. Let’s hope for the best

Back