Monroe air shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe
1998 mustang
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Hey guys, I'm hoping to get my brakes done this weekend, well if it all goes to plan anyway. Once that is taken care of i will be installing new shocks to replace the god knows how old ones that are on there now. The rear will not hold air at all after 5psi.

I'm thinking KYB GR2's on the front but i think if i put them on the back it will sag really bad from what i have heard. And that it is best to just keep the air shocks so what i am asking, has anyone had any experience with these or does anyone see something they would not be keen on?

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1964_1973_mustang/suspension/struts_and_shocks/monroe/monr00188388.html

I've got KYB Gas Adjust shocks on the back with no problems. I couldn't find a part number on the shocks but the air valves from the old air shocks are still in trunk.

The shock mounts on our cars are not designed to support the car, which is what you are doing with air shocks. I had them on my car when I bought it and it drove like a truck. I finally fixed it the right way by replacing the sagging leaf springs and adding the kyb gas-adjust shocks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! Please no airshocks. they are not very good shocks or suspension. They are meant to temporarily assist with heavy loads to level the ride.

I just instelled the KYB GasAJust shocks and really like the ride with stock springs. A good set of stock rate springs will help the droopy rear for not much more money. It is best to spend the money right than to spend it twice, even if you have to wait. (spoken by a cheap impatient guy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Air shocks are not gas-adjust shocks. Air shocks are not to be installed on mustangs. The mounting locations will not support the vehicles weight. Very dangerous.

The shock mounts on our cars are not designed to support the car, which is what you are doing with air shocks. I had them on my car when I bought it and it drove like a truck. I finally fixed it the right way by replacing the sagging leaf springs and adding the kyb gas-adjust shocks.
I didn't know that. Trust me I don't want the air shocks at all but I thought that's the way my car came. Who knows, I have a buddy that has a el camino and he took out the air shocks and put gas ones on and it really sagged. I heard that putting gas shocks on would yield same effect as if I let all the air out of the air shocks. I'm sorry for the amateur question but I just wanted to turn to you guys and help me only spend money once.

maybe I will put the kybs on all 4.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! Please no airshocks. they are not very good shocks or suspension. They are meant to temporarily assist with heavy loads to level the ride.

I just instelled the KYB GasAJust shocks and really like the ride with stock springs. A good set of stock rate springs will help the droopy rear for not much more money. It is best to spend the money right than to spend it twice, even if you have to wait. (spoken by a cheap impatient guy)
thank you, they are coming off immediately, they are rusted and broken anyway. I will put new springs on but I thought the car came like that. Well, learn something new everyday.

I suspect a RANCHERO might have shock mounts that are different than our mustangs. The above mentioned advice on correct leaf springs is the way to go. And they are cheap! Detroit spring can hook you up wih exact oem specs, or aftermarkets will give you any ride quality and height you could want. Check it out! Cool stuff is available.

I suspect most shock mount troubles are due to rust or friction from worn out bushings but I agree; from research I've done the upper mounts were never meant to support the weight of the car. If you have saggy leaf springs and attempt to raise the rear with air shocks you're taking a big risk, especially if you have passengers in the rear seat and hit bumps.

Having said that, a couple of years ago I replaced my leaf springs with more supportive ones and put air shocks on so I can control the rear end's height. My upper mounts have no rust and are very solid or I wouldn't have went that route. Further I don't have rear seat passengers. I believe it's all about being aware of all the variables and making the correct adjustments. If it's just me in the car and I want to give the rear a little attitude it only takes seconds to do that. I wouldn't recommend air shocks for every 71-73 but I feel I can get by with it under the conditions I operate my 71. As a disclaimer if the shocks ever do push through I'll be asking for advise on how to repair it.

Jim

There has already been stearn enough warnings bout air shocks, no extra re-inforcement on that issue.

On alternate shocks. KYB Gas-a-justs are a stiff shock. The heavy front end on the 71-73 can benefit from the extra stiffnes with out ride suffering, out back in the rear the softer KYB GR-2's ar a better choice. This has been found to be an effective combination, for track use too, you're prolly more concerned with overall ride, where the combo works very well.

When I fist picked up the 73, one of the first things I changed from what my brother had done. Was get rid of the Monroe air shocks, and included "june bug" stance. GR-2's went in, though it also needed 3/4 coil removed from the front springs. With this done I much perfer the ride & lowered stance.

I've run air shocks for years, and never had any problems. But I don't jack the car up three feet in the air, either. I think they work better, and are better for the car, than shackles, for example.....
IMHO if you need shackles to prevent the car from rubbing and have a useable ride height, new springs are needed. Just sayin.

Back