Need help with Air con.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

I bought a Classic Air brand complete aircon system for my '73 vert a couple of years ago, and had it professionally installed. I have only used the system on cold a handful of times, and it appears to work OK.

However, last winter i went to use the heater for the first time, and found that i was getting no heat coming through at all. I first thought it was the heater control valve playing up, but discovered that was not the cause. Then i discovered that the cable pull setup adjustment for the hot/ cold temp slider on the dash, was not setup right and i then rectified that problem too. Right now, i'm running too higher gas pressure in the system, and i am having that rectified now as well

What i notice now is that the compressor won't cycle off when the hot/cold lever is slid to warm position, and that is causing little or no hot air to come into the cabin. I have tried recalibrating with the chip supplied, but to no avail. Could this problem be an electronics fault alone.

So is there/are there, any tech savi guys on the forum who know aircon super well, or have had experience with the Classic Air brand systems for classic cars, and could possibly help solve this problem, or help steer me in the right direction please?

Many thanks in advance,

Greg.:-/

Last edited by a moderator:
When properly installed and set up( it has to be programmed as part of teh installation verification process)

the systems work really really well, it however cannot be overcharged or improperly installed and work effectively.

Best advice go through the booklet and verify the work was done correctly.

For example the trainig process requires you install a small pc board chip(1/4"x1/4") and turn on the key, move the levers to certain positions within a given time limit in order for the brain to know defrost from vent etc. all leads are color coded and plug in to the assigned slots, the water valve is also clearly labled so for it not to work it means your professional was indeed.... not. Its designed for dummies like me to be able to do it but the directions must be followed.

Back