New Additions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Well, it has been an EXTREMELY busy week but I have gotten through it. First of all, we were finally able to find the 2013 Lincoln MKT that the First Lady wanted for Christmas. As some of you may recall, she had a Tuxedo Black 2010 and she wanted the same color, except she wanted AWD and Ecoboost on her new one. After many false starts, we found one in Columbus, Mississippi and had it shipped to the ONE Lincoln dealership here in Memphis. As of right now, she has the ONLY 2013 MKT in Memphis.

I finally "pulled the trigger" on my acquisition of the 1969 Mach 1 from my Restorer. This is the one that I am putting the 428CJ engine in that currently resides in "Fire" (my 1973 Mach 1). I am currently trying to decide what exterior color to use prior to re-hanging doors and fenders as the interior has to be done. The external color will determine what color interior will be used. I know over the next several months, I shall be busier than a one legged man in the proverbial butt-kicking contest since I will be working on two major projects.

I do have some pictures of the '69 but they are not worth sharing at this time as everything is stripped down but it is a very STRAIGHT unit with ABSOLUTELY no rust or bondo, the perfect candidate for an infusion of FE power:). Of course, with this acquisition I had to join yet another Site but they have made me feel very welcome and reminded me of y'all with all the request for pictures. I shared the "ugly" ones with them so that they might appreciate where it started from when they view the future ones.

The journey begins!

BT

Well, it has been an EXTREMELY busy week but I have gotten through it. First of all, we were finally able to find the 2013 Lincoln MKT that the First Lady wanted for Christmas. As some of you may recall, she had a Tuxedo Black 2010 and she wanted the same color, except she wanted AWD and Ecoboost on her new one. After many false starts, we found one in Columbus, Mississippi and had it shipped to the ONE Lincoln dealership here in Memphis. As of right now, she has the ONLY 2013 MKT in Memphis.

I finally "pulled the trigger" on my acquisition of the 1969 Mach 1 from my Restorer. This is the one that I am putting the 428CJ engine in that currently resides in "Fire" (my 1973 Mach 1). I am currently trying to decide what exterior color to use prior to re-hanging doors and fenders as the interior has to be done. The external color will determine what color interior will be used. I know over the next several months, I shall be busier than a one legged man in the proverbial butt-kicking contest since I will be working on two major projects.

I do have some pictures of the '69 but they are not worth sharing at this time as everything is stripped down but it is a very STRAIGHT unit with ABSOLUTELY no rust or bondo, the perfect candidate for an infusion of FE power:). Of course, with this acquisition I had to join yet another Site but they have made me feel very welcome and reminded me of y'all with all the request for pictures. I shared the "ugly" ones with them so that they might appreciate where it started from when they view the future ones.

The journey begins!

BT
Congrats on the purchase. I will pass along the last sentence of the second oaragraph to Stace:p

The new forum gets pics and we dont:huh:

BT, The MKT is a very cool car. The 1969 is outstanding! Is it going to be mostly stock or a go fast piece? Congrats! Chuck

I KNEW I was going to catch grief about that picture note right after I hit the "Post" button. LOL

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the "Ugly."

2zylq85.jpg

2vhvhwn.jpg

fvi7tu.jpg

Remember, Y'all asked for it:)!

BT

BT, The MKT is a very cool car. The 1969 is outstanding! Is it going to be mostly stock or a go fast piece? Congrats! Chuck
I am pulling the 428CJ out of "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1) and putting it into the '69. I also have a 428CJ cast iron tailshaft C6 that I am putting behind it. I will be putting a 545 with a Broader C6 in Fire.

I currently have a Comp 294S (solid lifter) camshaft in the 428 but I will probably go with a Roller. I am debating on whether to keep the C8OE-N Heads or go to some Aluminum RPM. I REALLY want this to be PRIMARILY a "street" piece since I already will have some very "Heavy" stuff for the naysayers. LOL

I plan on painting it Raven Black with the red/orange markings. I tell you Chuck, I am really getting pumped at completing BOTH projects. As Roy knows, I have five (5) big boxes of 545 parts (Ported TFS Streets, solid roller camshaft, all the MSD ignition stuff, complete fuel system, modified 1000HP carb, etc,. etc) sitting in my den. The problem has been that I will have to take the 429SCJ (four bolt mains) block a couple of hundred miles to have the screw-in freeze plugs installed and I have been putting it off...but I digress. LOL

I think I answered your question:).

BT

I am pulling the 428CJ out of "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1) and putting it into the '69. I also have a 428CJ cast iron tailshaft C6 that I am putting behind it. I will be putting a 545 with a Broader C6 in Fire.

I currently have a Comp 294S (solid lifter) camshaft in the 428 but I will probably go with a Roller. I am debating on whether to keep the C8OE-N Heads or go to some Aluminum RPM. I REALLY want this to be PRIMARILY a "street" piece since I already will have some very "Heavy" stuff for the naysayers. LOL

I plan on painting it Raven Black with the red/orange markings. I tell you Chuck, I am really getting pumped at completing BOTH projects. As Roy knows, I have five (5) big boxes of 545 parts (Ported TFS Streets, solid roller camshaft, all the MSD ignition stuff, complete fuel system, modified 1000HP carb, etc,. etc) sitting in my den. The problem has been that I will have to take the 429SCJ (four bolt mains) block a couple of hundred miles to have the screw-in freeze plugs installed and I have been putting it off...but I digress. LOL

BT
A couple hundred miles is a good break in for the MKT

BT
A couple hundred miles is a good break in for the MKT
Now, now Roy.

Charles and I are catching enough flack from the First Lady about our not "swagging" our feet properly before we get into her car. You think she is going to let me put a "block" in the back...I refuse to even broach that subject!

I will probably have to put it in the trunk of the Marauder...OR buy a pickup; now that is an idea:angel:!

BT

BT
You did indeed. This guys does good work. He did a stage x set of Ed CJ heads for a friend who is building a 468 CID FE for a FFR car. He also carries Blue Thunder intakes. http://survivalmotorsports.com

Does it have to be drilled first or can you just use a 1 1/2" 11.5 TPI NPT tap in the existing hole? The tap is about $85.00. Chuck

BT
You did indeed. This guys does good work. He did a stage x set of Ed CJ heads for a friend who is building a 468 CID FE for a FFR car. He also carries Blue Thunder intakes. http://survivalmotorsports.com

Does it have to be drilled first or can you just use a 1 1/2" 11.5 TPI NPT tap in the existing hole? The tap is about $85.00. Chuck
Yes, I am familiar with Dennis' work at Survival. I currently have a Dove Single Plane Intake on the 428CJ with an old 3310 (780) Carb. I was pretty pleased with the 428CJ in its current configuration but just figured I might update the valve gear with a roller and possibly aluminum heads as I can get away with a bit more compression with today's gasoline.

The 429SCJ block has standard core plugs right now so it will be a simple matter of tapping it. This will require a 1 1/4" NPT tap and I thought about just getting one and tackling the job myself but I just don't won't to take any chances with this rare block. Dave McLain in Cuba, Missouri is the guy who I plan on putting the 545 together and he has the tap and the engine dyno. I have not been able to find any Machine Shop locally that has a LOT of experience with 429/460 race motors - - Dave as a prior "Engine Masters" top finishers has that expertise. He, along with Charlie Evans were instrumental in assisting me in my approach to the build of this 545.

BT

BT

Yes, I am familiar with Dennis' work at Survival. I currently have a Dove Single Plane Intake on the 428CJ with an old 3310 (780) Carb. I was pretty pleased with the 428CJ in its current configuration but just figured I might update the valve gear with a roller and possibly aluminum heads as I can get away with a bit more compression with today's gasoline.

The 429SCJ block has standard core plugs right now so it will be a simple matter of tapping it. This will require a 1 1/4" NPT tap and I thought about just getting one and tackling the job myself but I just don't won't to take any chances with this rare block. Dave McLain in Cuba, Missouri is the guy who I plan on putting the 545 together and he has the tap and the engine dyno. I have not been able to find any Machine Shop locally that has a LOT of experience with 429/460 race motors - - Dave as a prior "Engine Masters" top finishers has that expertise. He, along with Charlie Evans were instrumental in assisting me in my approach to the build of this 545.

BT
Sorry BT, I thought you were wanting to put the screw in core plugs in the 428 engine.

BT
Sorry BT, I thought you were wanting to put the screw in core plugs in the 428 engine.
EASILY misunderstood. I am so EXCITED that my "writing talents" are probably even worse than usual:)!

No, I believe the 428CJ block will hold up easily to the HP levels I will be going for in the '69 "street" car without the added benefit of screw-in core plugs.

BT

Back