New Australian member in Mexico.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from Mississippi. That appears to be a genuine Mexico de Shelby. The Cougar style door panels and the 351 W engine are usually the first two things that catch my eye. There are others here that are more knowledgeable on these cars than I am and can provide a lot more info. From what I understand they were built as a result of Carroll Shelby’s partnership with Mexican businessman Eduardo Velasquez. I believe the GT351's were built through 1972. Always thought it was a little strange they were installing 351W's in these cars while the W engine was all but forgotten in the US after the 351 C came out in 1970. That's a really great find.

Glad to have another Aussie (even a Mexican one) and a rare car in our ranks. Welcome aboard.
Yeah - the reason the W motor was used - the cars were required by Mexican law/policies to be "partially" built in Mexico.  They were sold to Mexico as knock-down-kits so the motors were built in Mexico and utilized their already established 302-based 351W motors. They were already being used in other Ford vehicles sold in Mexico under same 'kit' arrangement.  To utilize a Cleveland or any other engine not built in Mexico would push the required percentage above the limit.  IOW Mexico had a requirement that x % of assembly and manufacturing would be performed in Mexico.  I hope this helps and it is only what I have learned from others.  I have no documentation to back this up!

Check Facebook for "Mexican Mustangs" group.  There is much good info there and if you are bilingual - they are very helpful when visiting about these cars!  Many of the guys on there speak very good English...

Ray

Ray, it's sorta like the saying "It Takes a Village". With all the constant engineering changes, product upgrades, and unexpected things that happened on the assembly lines, it is almost impossible to keep up with the American built Mustangs. Glad you were able to find out some more on these Mexican Mustangs. I knew Mexico had some models and versions of vehicles we didn't have in the US, but until coming to this site I knew nothing of the GT351. I have no documentation to back up anything I do know on these cars.

I had talked to a Ford parts expediter in Detroit years ago while tracking down some export tail light lens for a Fox Mustang. He did tell me of some countries where Ford had a manufacturing presence that required a "Content Percentage" of parts and components.

Sure glad you were able take some great photo's and talk to a knowledgeable local Mustang expert when you were in Mexico. Learn something new about these cars everyday!

Back