New Lap Top Computer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Bought my first laptop the other day. Toshiba sent me an email about some deals on laptops. With the new pads coming to market I guess they need to unload some archaic laptops. This one has a 15" HD screen with a big drive, 4 gigs memory, R/W DVD, wireless, multiple ports running Windows 7 64 bit. Never used that version before, still runing Vista on this one. The computer will be used to record images from an astrophotography camera attached to a 12" Meade S/C using MaximDL software. The computer was less than $300 but included a shipping fee of $25; from where? The computer weighs 4 lbs. Turns out the computer was shipped from Shanghai AND they charged me $25 sales tax?? I am paying Chinese sales tax?

mike

Turns out the computer was shipped from Shanghai AND they charged me $25 sales tax?? I am paying Chinese sales tax?

mike
I believe tha's your State tax. If the business you're ordering it from has a registered TIN (Tax ID Number) in the State that you're having it shipped to, the business is required to collect taxes for that State. At least that's my understanding.

Yup...still runing vista too.....Only cause windows 7 come out right after i got my computer..lol..But i havent had any issues with it..I mite have to get me a laptop too..they getting so cheap...But i like my big gaming desktop..lol...Its now a 2 year old computer...{times flies huh?}..pentium i7 with 9 gigs of ddr 3 tri ram...Upgradable too 24 gigs...I love the power of a desktop thou...lol

Turns out the computer was shipped from Shanghai AND they charged me $25 sales tax?? I am paying Chinese sales tax?

mike
Chinese sales tax? It must have come through Wal-mart after it left Shanghai.

Congrats on the laptop, that sounds like you got a good deal.

Wow. Less than $300? Sound like a good deal, but the Chinese sales tax thing is weird. Does is have an HDMI port? If so, I might have to pick one up.

Doc
No HDMI port. Got it to use with an astrophotography camera and

could probably use it to drive and point the telescope as well. It is

a first step in transitioning from looking through an eyepiece to looking at a computer screen.

mike

Wow. Less than $300? Sound like a good deal, but the Chinese sales tax thing is weird. Does is have an HDMI port? If so, I might have to pick one up.

Doc
No HDMI port. Got it to use with an astrophotography camera and

could probably use it to drive and point the telescope as well. It is

a first step in transitioning from looking through an eyepiece to looking at a computer screen.

mike
Sounds very interesting, Mike. I used to study/teach a little astronomy when I taught high school Earth Science.

Astrophotography, eh? I too, like looking at heavenly bodies, if you know what I mean (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Back