New to site

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Just bought a 72 Grande today. Drove it up Interstate 17 in Arizona to Flagstaff for about an hour doing around 75 mph, engine ran great. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can. Its a bit of a project car for my son and I. Seems to be in really good shape. Interior is good, the buzzer even buzzes If you don't buckle your belt. Paint is good, some sun spots from the Arizona sun. Its been awhile since I have had a car to tinker with, my first car was a 67 Fastback with a 289. The 302 and tranny seemed to run well, was getting a lot of heat inside, its running headers so that could have been it. The front feels a bit loose, so thinking I should start there, checking tie rod ends and bushings in the front, there is a good squeak. The back seems to sag a bit, but there is a air nipple in the truck, think it may have air shocks in the back. Will put a air to tomorrow . Any other ideals of where to start?? Thanks Art
b n r color combination, very hot and mysterious. Bet quite the lady picker upper.

Hi,

Just bought a 72 Grande today. Drove it up Interstate 17 in Arizona to Flagstaff for about an hour doing around 75 mph, engine ran great. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can. Its a bit of a project car for my son and I. Seems to be in really good shape. Interior is good, the buzzer even buzzes If you don't buckle your belt. Paint is good, some sun spots from the Arizona sun. Its been awhile since I have had a car to tinker with, my first car was a 67 Fastback with a 289. The 302 and tranny seemed to run well, was getting a lot of heat inside, its running headers so that could have been it. The front feels a bit loose, so thinking I should start there, checking tie rod ends and bushings in the front, there is a good squeak. The back seems to sag a bit, but there is a air nipple in the truck, think it may have air shocks in the back. Will put a air to tomorrow . Any other ideals of where to start?? Thanks Art
b n r color combination, very hot and mysterious(good looking body and interior)Bet quite the lady picker upper. Looks like only a small part time job to get her the way you like. Hope its got AC? Mikke

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep it does has ac, I think its been changed over also. The guy who I bought it from said he put in a can he got from the store, so guessing it was not R12, but the compressor does not look stock to me, I tried the A/c and it does get cold. Here is a pic of the compressor.

DSC_0089.JPG

Here are a few codes off the door

Body 65F

Color 5A Light Pewter

Trans X C4???

Axle 6

DSO 13.

The A.C unit is an after market one...

Filled in some of your missing codes

Body 65F GRAND

Color 5A Light Pewter METALLIC

Trans X C4??? FMX

Axle 6 3.00

DSO 13. NEW YORK

hoping to land an entire stock AC package shortly then farming it out over the snow months to have it installed. Do not care how just so it works and looks original from the interior.In fact thinking on running it through my alternate optimum battery my stereo is running from the trunk.

Yep it does has ac, I think its been changed over also. The guy who I bought it from said he put in a can he got from the store, so guessing it was not R12, but the compressor does not look stock to me, I tried the A/c and it does get cold. Here is a pic of the compressor.

Body 65F

Color 5A Light Pewter

Trans X C4???

Axle 6

DSO 13.
I think my AC project may take a little longer than expected, once I figure out where it will fit under the hood.

The A.C unit is an after market one...

Filled in some of your missing codes

Body 65F GRAND

Color 5A Light Pewter METALLIC

Trans X C4??? FMX

Axle 6 3.00

DSO 13. NEW YORK
We have a new member that deals with the codes as a job per se-along with working at NPD down on the N.E. Florida way. Since my door tag was sanded off(by some wanna be classic restoration shop) before I could have read it, looks like I am going to have to fabricate another w/what options I have improved upon it as a suggested kind of tag. Ha (as an ultimately last improvement is to convert my NASA hood into one that looks like these w/3 NACA scoops and 2 ducts in the aft for the elimination of the heat from the engine.

Body 65F

Color 5A Light Pewter

Trans X C4???

Axle 6

DSO 13.
No, "W" would be a C-4, "X" is an FMX...strong tranny

Thanks for all your help guys. Anyone know if I can replace the oil pan gasket with out pulling engine on a 302.

Thanks for all your help guys. Anyone know if I can replace the oil pan gasket with out pulling engine on a 302.
Not with that car...unless you can remove a cross member....which that car does not, a removable one have.... I suppose you could lift it WAY up w a cherry picker.

Not with that car...unless you can remove a cross member....which that car does not, a removable one have.... I suppose you could lift it WAY up w a cherry picker.
Thanks

Body 65F

Color 5A Light Pewter

Trans X C4???

Axle 6

DSO 13.
What would a 72 convertible have to be a wimbeldon white, q code w/cruise control, power disc brakes,mach 1 suspension w/ 3.50 axle w/limited slip posi, Ford toploader, Koni Classic Shocks, 4 speed wide ratio Hurst on the floor, concourse interior or should say deluxe, functional ram air, rear anti sway bar, dual exhaust (can not say much further except an inpending AC stock item) w/a 700 cfm 4 barrel Holley and sizes 15 Magnum 500 wheels

Body 65F

Color 5A Light Pewter

Trans X C4???

Axle 6

DSO 13.
What would a 72 convertible have to be a wimbeldon white, q code w/cruise control, power disc brakes,mach 1 suspension w/ 3.50 axle w/limited slip posi, Ford toploader, Koni Classic Shocks, 4 speed wide ratio Hurst on the floor, concourse interior or should say deluxe, functional ram air, rear anti sway bar, dual exhaust (can not say much further except an inpending AC stock item) w/a 700 cfm 4 barrel Holley and sizes 15 Magnum 500 wheels
No, it could be almost any color, but it Would need the "options" to be truly exceptional,...... On the other hand, a plain "Jane" can be very rewarding. Especially if you are capable of "unconditional love". They ALL get you there....just in varying degrees of style.

No, it could be almost any color, but it Would need the "options" to be truly exceptional,...... On the other hand, a plain "Jane" can be very rewarding. Especially if you are capable of "unconditional love". They ALL get you there....just in varying degrees of style.
As a mock up, how would the decodings be written up to look like on the label in the door frame with the above options?

Ususally, the people who decide to remove the vinyl roof for any reason don't leave the trims on. If I remove mine on my Grandé I will leave the trims like on yours, the look is nice like that.

To me was a vinyl roof and it has been repainted.

Nice looking car :)

Ususally, the people who decide to remove the vinyl roof for any reason don't leave the trims on. If I remove mine on my Grandé I will leave the trims like on yours, the look is nice like that.

To me was a vinyl roof and it has been repainted.

Nice looking car :)
I agree I like the look with the trim but without the vinyl.

There are a couple threads on here about changing the oil pan gasket without removing the engine. Believe they unbolted the motor mounts and jacked up a few inches so pan would clear the cross member. May be an easier solution depending on what all you are trying to accomplish.

Here is a link to the instructions on how to do...

http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/den73/V2D735182.pdf

There are a couple threads on here about changing the oil pan gasket without removing the engine. Believe they unbolted the motor mounts and jacked up a few inches so pan would clear the cross member. May be an easier solution depending on what all you are trying to accomplish.

Here is a link to the instructions on how to do...

http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/den73/V2D735182.pdf
Thanks I just took a look at it, will have to give it a try.

So noticed there is no fan clutch on the car, it has the spacer. Does not get real hot here in the mountains, and I'm guessing it had a clutch at sometime. Thinking I should put it back on, maybe change out the water pump at same time, as I don't know when the last time it was changed. I have to remove the radiator to change out the oil pan, guess I can do it all at the same time.

Hi,

I had Monroe Air Shocks w/the air adjustment just above the license plate. When I found my Kyb's were blown in the front and seemed like the car was bottoming out in front and rear, looked into the leafs and found they were the original and just lost their rigidity. So, though I believe the Monroes are still good, who knows as when I decided a not to hassle QA1's set at the stiffest (18) level and though no miles were really driven but the bad track record from the garage that gave me the car back and not only was the brakes just jammed in and leaking, but also they broke my pin to the brake pedal so who knows the whether they just ripped them out. The same when they switched out my Boss oil pan for an extra wide but shallow 7 quart Canton racing oil pan, they placed the Boss pan in my trunk still having enough oil in it to splash all over the entire carpeting back there. To the point, for the rear replacement was the Koni Classics.

Back