Oil cap for new valve covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Could someone please tell me if a 1 1/4" oil cap will fit a Scott Drake 302 Powered By Ford Black Wrinkle Small Block? I'm ordering online so was hoping some clever person could help me out please :).

I had an oil leak from the valve cover gasket and the garage put new cork gaskets on 2 weeks ago. I noticed today it's started to weep oil again. The garage seems to think the steel rocker cover has warped, so I've bought new covers.

Any help with the oil cap much appreciated.

vc54_1.395.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the oil cap but will give you some info on valve cover gskts. I have a 85 Mustang GT I bought new at the dealer I worked at. I fought valve cover oil leaks for years. I was told because the valve covers were aluminum and were on cast iron heads that they cooled down at different rates, hench the cork gskts being scrubbed and actually tearing. Your steel covers probably are warped as people tend to over tighten them trying to stop the never ending oil leaks. The fix is to use the gskts Ford used on the 87 up 302 Stangs. They are steel with rubber on either side and will NOT leak. I've had a set on mine over 10 years and have not leaked a single drop. F1ZZ-6584-B is the part #. They tend to be a little on the expensive side but what isn't any more! A parts house may be able to cross that Ford p/n to theirs and be a little cheaper. Good luck on your project.

I'll have to track those down. They sound much better.

Here's my 302 engine. I'm hoping the covers will fit ok. Just wondering where to get the oil cap from. The existing cap looks like it won't fit.

IMG_6544-Copy_zps070aff80.jpg

Thanks for the info. Is there an oil cap that would fit the Scott Drake covers I have just bought? Is that a breather pipe off the top of it?

None of them. It should be flat on the bottom, with a recess for the pipe. There is spring steel piece in the recess to hold it on the tube. I just looked atCjpony site, they call it "push on style". It was the last one on page two.

Back