Opininon on cam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims72

Reaction score
My Car
Original owner of 72 flat back
OK, been working with a cam co. for my cc stock cleveland SCR 10:1. Here's what we came up with so far.

230/240 [email protected] remember it's a solid cam.

114 LSA=51* overlap, more overlap than I wanted but smooth idle

ICL =114 (straight up) Intake closes at 71*= DCR 7.57

Adv. cam 4* ICL=110 for intake close @67*= DCR 7.83 so room to play with.

Running 3.73's/5spd. 2.97 first/ .62 od looking to cruse 70mph @ around 2g's...Am I dream'n or what?

No you are not dreaming

I am running CC heads on a 73 Q code block with a Comp Cams 282S and a 5 speed t45 and a 3.89 rear gear

I don't have the split pattern, but otherwise the specs are close.

I am at 2200 rpm on the highway with 255-35-17 rear tires (26 inches tall)

the down side is that the power band is a little higher than the cruising rpm. Still I can cruise the interstate without ever downshifting and can pass most cars without an issue.

3.50 gears had me so far off the power band that it was unpleasant to drive on the interstate in 5th.

If I understand the intended use correctly, it should work fine and be smooth with the 114 LSA and installed 4 degrees advanced. I am admittedly conservative on DCR/ECR 7.85 is about as high as I'd go with your combination/purpose and ever degrading pump gas. What company are you working with? Chuck

Perhaps I am missing something but the stated outcome (70 MPH at 2000 RPM with a 3.73 rear gear) seems to be at odds with my calculations (if you are using a "normal" sized tire).

Specifically, I thought the following formula applies:

TD = Desired MPH X Gear Ratio X 336 divided by desired RPM or in this case

TD = 70 X 3.73 X 336 divided by 2000 RPM = 43.86" diameter tire

Wallace Calculator seems to bear this out:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

...my $.02

BT

He stated a .62 overdrive, so with a 27 inch tire he would turn 2000 rpm at 70. Assuming a 26 inch tire he will be just under 2100 rpm

::welcome::

He stated a .62 overdrive, so with a 27 inch tire he would turn 2000 rpm at 70. Assuming a 26 inch tire he will be just under 2100 rpm
Keep in mind I am not a Tech Adviser, a Super Moderator or even a certified Mechanic, just an old gear head who makes a living as a lawyer LOL

. . . but I am right

Last edited by a moderator:
How you make your living has nothing to do with it as you have provided a QUALITY and ACCURATE response:). I (as a old school gear head) missed the Over Drive transmission information.

The following Site provides the "calculator" with overdrive.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/potential_speed_calculator.html

So YES, you are RIGHT...GREAT information, Jeff!

BT

I think you will have to carefully tailor the ignition advance curve to avoid pinging on 93 octane when load is applied in 5th gear such as maintaining speed on a hill on the highway or when lugging the engine in a lower gear but otherwise should work OK.

What is the intended purpose for the car...street cruiser?

Here's a Wiki on cams to see some variants.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-71-73-351c-original-cam-specs

This thread has some great info about cams.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-do-you-decide-what-cam-you-want
Street Cruzr all the way.

No you are not dreaming

I am running CC heads on a 73 Q code block with a Comp Cams 282S and a 5 speed t45 and a 3.89 rear gear

I don't have the split pattern, but otherwise the specs are close.

I am at 2200 rpm on the highway with 255-35-17 rear tires (26 inches tall)

the down side is that the power band is a little higher than the cruising rpm. Still I can cruise the interstate without ever downshifting and can pass most cars without an issue.

3.50 gears had me so far off the power band that it was unpleasant to drive on the interstate in 5th.
These issues you point out are what I'm concerned about cuz I'll be below the power band too.

If I understand the intended use correctly, it should work fine and be smooth with the 114 LSA and installed 4 degrees advanced. I am admittedly conservative on DCR/ECR 7.85 is about as high as I'd go with your combination/purpose and ever degrading pump gas. What company are you working with? Chuck
Kevin at Schneider, we've been emailing back and forth. He's been very helpful. I've sent emails to other co's and the usual response would be thin to non existant. Kevin is a good one, imo.

I think you will have to carefully tailor the ignition advance curve to avoid pinging on 93 octane when load is applied in 5th gear such as maintaining speed on a hill on the highway or when lugging the engine in a lower gear but otherwise should work OK.
Yes, been studying coil on plug conversions and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back