Overhaul of a Ford FMX Transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice post!!! I'm working on my FMX at this moment too.. i was wondering if you could give me some information on installing the front band and rear band.. how should these little 'plates' that come on top of it be installed? A picture would be very welcome, just to see in which place these things belong...

Thanx in advance,

Jax.

*** update ***

My FMX tranny is almost finished... to bad i have one oil line left... it's an U shaped one...Oil line FMX can anyone tell me where this should be located??

Thanx in advance,

Jax.

The line you are wondering about is located in the upper right quarter of the picture. It runs from the pressure regulator to the valve body. The Filter holding clip is hooked to it.

DSC01285.JPG

This is a pic of my FMX after rebuild.

DSC01448.JPG

DSC01449.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Spechti, thank you for your answer. I'm afraid tough that's not the line I got left. The line you describe is U-shaped, but also bended. My mysterious line is just like an U.

In this FMX overview you can see the part, next to the part you mentioned...

Any other suggestions???

greets, Jax.

OK. I think I got it right now.

The only other tube bent in that way is the fluid supply to the rear support which feeds the governor.

It is marked on the pic. Hope this helps.

DSC01440.JPG

great work wolfgang!!!

great work spechti!!

if i ever come a cross trouble with my fmx i'll know what to do :)

abudi

great work wolfgang!!!

great work spechti!!

if i ever come a cross trouble with my fmx i'll know what to do :)

abudi
Thanks a lot Abudi

But do you really think you will need our advice? Guess not!!! You are still more advanced than me.

Greetings from GEO

Last edited by a moderator:
I cleaned all parts with cellulose thinner. Finally I used copressed air to get all dirt particles of.

Next step - disassemble the front and rear clutch durm.

Inside this two parts are two aluminium pistons with a check ball on each. On the pistons are sealing rings. To get the pistons out of the drums, use compressed air. I changed all sealing rings.

Do you have any more valve body pics ?

It s a gadget to get the piston with new sealing ring into the rear clutch drum. With Scotch tape I wraped the piston. After the piston was in positon, I removed the tape.

Assembly of the rear clutch drum. Pictures tell more than thousand words...

Important!!! Check the clearance between the pressure plate and the internal plate. About 1 mm is a good mediocrity. THATS JUST MY OPIONION!!!

At least, the two thrust washers

I installed new clutch discs. Before installing I soaked them for 20 Minutes in trasmission oil.

Great post indeed . Lots good info here . Just finished an FMX build for a friend for a 393 .

5 Frictions in each pack , relined bands , Solid intermediate . Transgo 37-1 valvebody kit.

Along with a custom built 9" Billet converter will move along nice :)

Hi all,

I am also just rebuilding the FMX of my 71 Mach 1. I have a question to the guys who are already done with their rebuild.

I have taken apart the front and rear clutch drum to replace the frictions and steels with new Raybestos parts. When redoing the front drum I found that only 3 of the new Raybestos frictions and 4 Steels will go into the drum while 5 frictions were in there before. These were obviously slightly thinner. Both configurations, with 3 and with 5 frictions, accomplish the 0.01" clearance to the upper drum lid shoulder.

When I disassembled the drum with the 5 frictions and steels, there also was a wave washer under them. When I reuse the wave washer I can only put three frictions in as mentioned, when I omit it, 4 frictions and 5 steels go in.

Clearance okay.

I have studied some FMX exploded views from different issuers and some show the wave washer and some don't. Is the washer of any importance for the function of the transmission? Are three frictions sufficient for proper function of the trans compared to the five before?

Indeed different numbers of frictions are shown on drawings. Some show 4, some show 5, none shows three.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Michael

View attachment 3669

Wave washer from the front drum

View attachment 3670

Assembly without the wave washer. Four frictions go in. Perfect clearance to shoulder of the lid plate. When the washer is in, only 3 frictions fit in.
Just for info here , I know its old but no mention.
The issue with number of frictions .
The forward clutch uses the thin frictions @ usually .058"-.061" . The rear clutch uses .078" frictions . Some those sizes can be mix n matched to get clearance . I'd say that's the issue here why you can't get back to the original 5.

Also the wave plate is fitted to the rear clutch . On a mild setup leave it in with 4 frictions . If making some power remove the wave and fit 5 frictions

Post should be pinned; anyone who is attempting to do this whole thing at home. I wish this also placed an emphasis on the O-ring seal for the shift-linkage or "manual lever transmission shift seal" PN#759003 this is a square profile O-ring just replace it.

Back