Parking Brake Cables- Reproductions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

I have been looking to replace the front and rear parking/emergency brake cables with new reproduction ones. I have run into several makes that include the run of the mill to concourse correct and stainless steel.

Can anybody comment on any purchases?

Ohio Mustang Supply, LLC

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/item_listing.asp?pcid=3&L1=Brakes&L2=Parking%20Brake&p=2&ps=10

Inline Tube Nice but Expensive

http://inlinetube.com/Brake%20Cables/Ford/RE-M60.htm

National Parts Depot -Front Cable-Really Nice

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_cable_parking_brake_front-146123-342.html

Mustangs Unlimited

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/EM_CatalogSite/00270.htm

mustang7173 :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine from National Parts Dept. Great quality. Fit perfect!

Inline tube. Nice products, nice prices... s-l-o-w service. It took almost 3.5 weeks to get the full set of brake & fuel lines from them. All the fittings and hardware kits were great.

But had I known better how the brake lines actually fit into the car (i.e. done them BEFORE I installed the engine, tranny, & rear axle), they wouldn't have gotten bent all to Hell during my installation process (let that be a lesson to all who read this).

My only other complaint is that every flare fitting leaked after I know for a fact that I'd installed them 'normally.' I literally had to go around and crank-down the ever-livin' sh!t out of each and every one of them. I would've expected that from the stainless lines (as stainless is harder to seal than regular lines), but I remember ordering the standard lines.

Talk to Don at Ohio Mustang. You can't go wrong there.
+10. I've NEVER heard any negative feedback about Don from ANYONE. And I, personally, can attest to the great quality of the parts that I've purchased from him, as well as the excellent customer service.
The only reason I don't do more with Don is simply because of logistics. He's in Ohio and I'm in southern Nevada. He's a stand up guy!

Talk to Don at Ohio Mustang. You can't go wrong there.
+10. I've NEVER heard any negative feedback about Don from ANYONE. And I, personally, can attest to the great quality of the parts that I've purchased from him, as well as the excellent customer service.
The only reason I don't do more with Don is simply because of logistics. He's in Ohio and I'm in southern Nevada. He's a stand up guy!
I can understand that. Shipping costs money, for sure.

Hello Eric,

I looked thorough your pictures this morning and I am still amazed at what you have done. There is one thing that you can say, You sure know the inside and out of this Mustang! I wish I were closer to your location, love to see your Mustang in person!

mustang7173

David :D

Inline tube. Nice products, nice prices... s-l-o-w service. It took almost 3.5 weeks to get the full set of brake & fuel lines from them. All the fittings and hardware kits were great.

But had I known better how the brake lines actually fit into the car (i.e. done them BEFORE I installed the engine, tranny, & rear axle), they wouldn't have gotten bent all to Hell during my installation process (let that be a lesson to all who read this).

My only other complaint is that every flare fitting leaked after I know for a fact that I'd installed them 'normally.' I literally had to go around and crank-down the ever-livin' sh!t out of each and every one of them. I would've expected that from the stainless lines (as stainless is harder to seal than regular lines), but I remember ordering the standard lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a front cable and idler from Don at OMS, and it fit perfectly. The PO had already installed the rear cable, so I have no idea where it came from.

Front cable I have is nice one

Rears are the generic ones

Don

Hello Eric,

I looked thorough your pictures this morning and I am still amazed at what you have done. There is one thing that you can say, You sure know the inside and out of this Mustang! I wish I were closer to your location, love to see your Mustang in person!

mustang7173

David :D
Thanks, David! It's been somewhat of learning process the whole way. I'd never replaced sheet metal (to that extent), let alone 'clipped a car. LOL.

Hey, if you're planning on going to the Mustang 50th in Charlotte next April, I'm "planning" on being there as well. Still got a ways to go before I'm driving it, but the important stuff works now, and that's a big step toward the goal.

Something to note, I remember someone mentioning Classic Tube for brake lines, fuel lines, et al, and think they're definitely worth a look - at least for price comparison in nothing else. I have nothing particularly 'bad' to say about Inline Tube, but I believe others will have similar experiences since our cars are still somewhat 'rare' in the aftermarket scene (expect the delay in receiving your order being due to them having to custom bend your lines after ordering, as they don't exactly have '71-'73 Mustang lines in-stock - as I discovered when I called them after almost 3 weeks). Business is good for them

Again - nothing 'bad' about Inline Tube... just a little friendly warning on what to expect.

All,

Went ahead and got the Inline Tube stainless steel rear brake cables. Found their web store on E-bay. Much cheaper! Next week I will get the front brake cable from Ohio Mustang.

Thank You to all who posted!

mustang7173

All,

I have received the Inline Tube stainless steel rear brake cables yesterday. Wow, the are freaking nice. Here are some pictures.

2nguecy.jpg

29nz9mu.jpg

2lnwfv5.jpg

mustang71

Back