possible 72 purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeda

Reaction score
My Car
none yet
hello all im looking for some help. i am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 72 coupe. but i want to know the price i should pay. the interior need to be recovered, and i think it had a lot of rust . other than that it pretty complete. 302 included. so what im asking is if its worth paying around 1k for this car knowing it may need new tin and interior restored to begin with. i plan to make it a project and strip it all down get the tins welded on and get it repainted and restore the rest. interior and motor all that... advice please i am going to look at it tomorrow..

jake

Welcome from Arkansas.

You will want to check the frame rails in front and rear, these are problem areas for rust as well as cowl. Check for collision damage, and decode the VIN and door tag. some pics would help. If the frame rails are solid and has a drive train I would say that's about what it's worth

well it depends on how much rust!!, as posted eirlier check cowl, frame rails, floors, bottom of doors wheel housings front aprons ...etc... (common rust areas for these cars)

are you doing the labor to replace panels, or a shop? add that to the $$

but $1k is not bad for a project car.

Don't forget to check the trunk floor and tail light panel. Surprised Imusa didn't mention that one ;) I would at least try to get it a bit cheaper, if rust is on the outside you have no idea how much you will find once you get inside!

Good luck and welcome to the forum, no matter how bad of shape it is in, if you have the will to restore it, the guys here have the knowlegde to help you.

I have a 73 coupe 302 I paid $350 for it and i had to replace both fenders, the interior is 50/50 missing things. If it runs or turn over and the car seems like its in a state that you feel comfortable working with, then go ahead and save it!

Hi and welcome to the forum from Ontario Canada........before you plunk your money down check out some of the other members rebuild threads and what they've had to do with rust, not trying to scare you away, but it will give you a good idea of what happens and how one area leads to the next.

also he says he doesnt have the title waht kind of a pain is it to get one ?

No title is a big red flag for me. I would call the DMV and ask them how to go about getting a title. THEN I would think about still buying it, after knowing what you have to do to get the title and how much that would cost. Post some pics before you buy it if you still intend to get it.

No title is a big red flag for me. I would call the DMV and ask them how to go about getting a title. THEN I would think about still buying it, after knowing what you have to do to get the title and how much that would cost. Post some pics before you buy it if you still intend to get it.
+100 While not uncommon for cars of this age to sit for years while owners pass away and documents get lost it still sets off a red flag for scams or questionable doubt. It can take months to obtain a title if at all it depends on your state and laws. It will also add to the cost of the car as well that could be put elsewhere in the restoration. If you are able to contact the last registered owner usually DMV will have a form they can fill out and issue a replacement title to the last owner and then they sign it over to you but thats if you can even find out who the last documented owner is.

I would have to consider this:

- what shape the car is in

- the price of the car (whithout title i would not spend the 1k)

- determine just how bad you want it

sounds like a standard coupe anyway I would let it pass, it doesnt sound like stumbled upon a rare Mach1 or maybe a sprint coupe.

Like Doc said, speak to DMV first and if that hassle of getting a title is not too great i would seriously tell the seller to come down a bit on that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
what about i offer 700 tell him to hold a 100 deposit while i apply for the title?

+100 While not uncommon for cars of this age to sit for years while owners pass away and documents get lost it still sets off a red flag for scams or questionable doubt. It can take months to obtain a title if at all it depends on your state and laws. It will also add to the cost of the car as well that could be put elsewhere in the restoration. If you are able to contact the last registered owner usually DMV will have a form they can fill out and issue a replacement title to the last owner and then they sign it over to you but thats if you can even find out who the last documented owner is.

I would have to consider this:

- what shape the car is in

- the price of the car (whithout title i would not spend the 1k)

- determine just how bad you want it

sounds like a standard coupe anyway I would let it pass, it doesnt sound like stumbled upon a rare Mach1 or maybe a sprint coupe.

Like Doc said, speak to DMV first and if that hassle of getting a title is not too great i would seriously tell the seller to come down a bit on that price.
3K93Mc3H55Le5Na5H2d4t548ac23913a41233.jpg

3L53M83N55La5Gf5Edd4t11e16570b8b7167a.jpg

3L73F23M65Ga5E85Kad4tf570e642b33b1063.jpg

3E23Ka3M55Lb5Ib5Ffd4t5db937bf88ba12e0.jpg

3Ed3M83H35L45G85E1d4tc4c300bee4af1075.jpg

Welcome to the Site, from Navarre Florida

Wow...I agree with everything else that has been posted...

two things from the photos.. 1) the front license plate is Wyoming...so make sure you can register it in your state without having the title from Wyoming... (if that was the last place registered..).

And what is the large Cargo strap holding together..it looks like it encircles the entire body...in the 4th pic?!

If you get it for a good price...I'm sure all the help you need is available on this forum...I would definitely try to talk him down on the price...AND then you have a lot of work....best of luck

T2

Offer him $700 & buy it, then part it out. I rarely say that when there is a questionable title involved but the steering wheel alone is worth half the price of the car.

After you sell off all the parts you can scrap the rest then find one with a good title.

Car does look dinged up but so did mine, the accessories on that engine concern me as to why it's half dissasembled? Could need a major averhaul, the P/S pump is just dropped down there. The tailight panel looks rough as well as the quarter panels. That cargo strap tie down looks interesting? Where you able to look underneath to see if the floors look solid?

Over all though, if you can get a title with minimal hassle and can get the car for 700 or less, at least it looks to be complete so i guess that holds some merit.

Does the seller have the keys? Maybe you could jump the battery and at least see if the engine is not siezed up.

Car does look dinged up but so did mine, the accessories on that engine concern me as to why it's half dissasembled? Could need a major averhaul, the P/S pump is just dropped down there. The tailight panel looks rough as well as the quarter panels. That cargo strap tie down looks interesting? Where you able to look underneath to see if the floors look solid?

Over all though, if you can get a title with minimal hassle and can get the car for 700 or less, at least it looks to be complete so i guess that holds some merit.

Does the seller have the keys? Maybe you could jump the battery and at least see if the engine is not siezed up.
im going to look today. these are the ones he sent me..

Offer him $700 & buy it, then part it out. I rarely say that when there is a questionable title involved but the steering wheel alone is worth half the price of the car.

After you sell off all the parts you can scrap the rest then find one with a good title.
+1 part it out and use that money to bet a better one, but $700- $900 is not bad

Don't forget to check the trunk floor and tail light panel. Surprised Imusa didn't mention that one I would at least try to get it a bit cheaper, if rust is on the outside you have no idea how much you will find once you get inside!
its a Mental block after what I went through with mine .. LOL :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back