73 to 71-72 rear bumper conversion help needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Props this forum has helped me preserve some sanity while trying to finish my mach. 73 with 71-72 quarters, grille and bumper conversion after my original and then best replacement 73 poly bumper i could find would not hold paint went all in on 71-72 mach 1 quarter panel swap. Im down to the rear bumper need to flush mount it and it is the one thing i cannot find a thread with parts numbers and process needed, found some info but wanted to see if anyone knows of a detailed thread or had something saved i can give to my body shop guys. photos below as she sits now.

Attachments

• mach 1 2.jpg
    mach 1 2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • mach 1.jpg
    mach 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
Props this forum has helped me preserve some sanity while trying to finish my mach. 73 with 71-72 quarters, grille and bumper conversion after my original and then best replacement 73 poly bumper i could find would not hold paint went all in on 71-72 mach 1 quarter panel swap. Im down to the rear bumper need to flush mount it and it is the one thing i cannot find a thread with parts numbers and process needed, found some info but wanted to see if anyone knows of a detailed thread or had something saved i can give to my body shop guys. photos below as she sits now.
I just removed the plastic filler on each side. Then filled the 2 screw holes and used the 71-72 bumper brackets.

I didn't like the fit of the plastic fillers on each side so I went with the 71-72 quarter panel extensions on mine. I also have the 71-72 front fenders, grill and bumper on mine. Then I found that the bumper stuck out a little further on both sides than the original bumper. I rectified that with a rubber mallet love tap on both ends and it looks a lot better now. Good luck.

Tom

It is when I see posts like this that I am so glad I decided to retain the 1973 front and rear bumpers on our 73 Mach 1, as opposed to tucking them or using bumper parts from 71 - 72, and having to deal with all the work involved for what I deem to be nominal benefit. Actually, although the energy 1973 absorbing bumpers are a little larger than the 71-72 model years, they are not obnoxiously large. I kind of like how they look, in fact. Nothing at all like the energy absorbing bumpers from GM that they tried to pass off as being beautiful looking (lots of laughing in the background re: GM's marketing effort in that vein).

As for the folks that do perform bumper tucks and replace their 73 bumpers with 71-72 bumpers, I confess. Done correctly it can enhance the look of a 73 Mustang. But, IMHO the enhancement made is not as noticeable as I would want or expect for the amount it costs in terms of both money and time, much less effort. But, when noticed it is a largely positive feeling I get, mostly because I know I have managed to avoid the grief that comes with that territory.

Attachments

• MagazineAd_GM_1973_NBumper_LyingBastards_20231101.jpg
    MagazineAd_GM_1973_NBumper_LyingBastards_20231101.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is when I see posts like this that I am so glad I decided to retain the 1973 front and rear bumpers on our 73 Mach 1, as opposed to tucking them or using bumper parts from 71 - 72, and having to deal with all the work involved for what I deem to be nominal benefit. Actually, although the energy 1973 absorbing bumpers are a little larger than the 71-72 model years, they are not obnoxiously large. I kind of like how they look, in fact. Nothing at all like the energy absorbing bumpers from GM that they tried to pass off as being beautiful looking (lots of laughing in the background re: GM's marketing effort in that vein).

As for the folks that do perform bumper tucks and replace their 73 bumpers with 71-72 bumpers, I confess. Done correctly it can enhance the look of a 73 Mustang. But, IMHO the enhancement made is not as noticeable as I would want or expect for the amount it costs in terms of both money and time, much less effort. But, when noticed it is a largely positive feeling I get, mostly because I know I have managed to avoid the grief that comes with that territory.
Wasn't even an option. I sourced 2 different poly 73' bumpers and even the one that looked great to me my shop told me anything that material and that old the flex paint wasn't going to last even with a clear ceramic coating. I was out almost a grand just on getting the two best bumpers I could find, anyone thinking of making the switch if you are in need of a oem 73' poly bumper you are better off IMO in making the fender/grille swap or else using the method found elsewhere in the forums where you keep the 73 fenders and try to get it a close as possible using the 71-72 bumper.

Back