possible 72 purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone here able to?

A used car dealer can get a title if you know one
You may also (depends on where you live) file for a builders title, or lost title with local DMV. It usually requires a police report search of the VIN. You can find out who last tagged the car, locate them, and get a bill of sale from them and an affidavit of lost title and get a new one as well. There is always a way if you are determined enough.

Until you found out the last person who tagged the car is now decesed...had that happen and had to jump through hoops, you could file for an abandonment title which usually takes about 90 days but doesnt look like that car will be on the road that quick.

Until you found out the last person who tagged the car is now decesed...had that happen and had to jump through hoops, you could file for an abandonment title which usually takes about 90 days but doesnt look like that car will be on the road that quick.
I also had a guy who would not sign anything even though he owned the car, sold it to a guy who died and never tagged it.

My advice as always is to buy the nicest car you can afford. If you have 5k buy the nicest 5k car you can find. You're money ahead of buying a 700.00 car thinking 4300 will "fix it up. You're better to spend money on a project someone lost interest in than to buy a car that's been sitting in a field.

Maximize your dollars by shopping around.

My advice as always is to buy the nicest car you can afford. If you have 5k buy the nicest 5k car you can find. You're money ahead of buying a 700.00 car thinking 4300 will "fix it up. You're better to spend money on a project someone lost interest in than to buy a car that's been sitting in a field.

Maximize your dollars by shopping around.
Very good point Jeff.

and as for the title, here in Rhode Island, if a car is older than 10 yrs old you do not need a title, just a copy of the registration, and it has to be the same name as the person selling you the car.

and if the car is from out of state, you need to have the local police DPT do a VIN number check before the DMV will register the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wil let you all know maybe i will have some parts for sale soon !
Like Don said , looks like a great parts car if you can get it for the right price and have the space to store everything. If you're going to be putting a lot of time and money into a car "just to get it into running condition", it should be a rare one that will give you a return on investment (unless it has some type of sentimental value). Even a "free" car can be a bad investment if you end up putting more money and time into it, than it ends up being worth. I know I've got more money and time invested in my 71 M code than I could sell it for, but selling it wasn't my intention. I just wish I had paid more upfront and started with a 71 Boss or a 71 429 with a 4 speed but that's hindsight.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i think i can get him to 600 so ill probably do it and investigate getting it cleaned up running and apply for a title before i put a bunch of money into it. he says the motor isn't seized. so I'm hoping it wont be to hard

I wil let you all know maybe i will have some parts for sale soon !
Like Don said , looks like a great parts car if you can get it for the right price and have the space to store everything. If you're going to be putting a lot of time and money into a car "just to get it into running condition", it should be a rare one that will give you a return on investment (unless it has some type of sentimental value). Even a "free" car can be a bad investment if you end up putting more money and time into it, than it ends up being worth. I know I've got more money and time invested in my 71 M code than I could sell it for, but selling it wasn't my intention. I just wish I had paid more upfront and started with a 71 Boss or a 71 429 with a 4 speed but that's hindsight.

Jim

I definitely would not pay $1000 for it. Title stuff can be a nightmare. It once took me two years to get a title for a motorcycle I bought. I would do maybe 500-700 and have my mindset that it's a parts car. Use the lack of title as a negotiating piece. I think you're better off to continue looking - nothing "special" about that particular car. When it comes to restoration, the devil is truly in the details.

I have learned to trust my instincts. The fact that you're asking us tells me your gut is telling you to ABORT!

Ask your self what do you plan to do with it and how "nice" do you want it to look and run. Just getting it running may cost a few thousand. The a few grand more for the interior. Then body work and paint and beofre you know it you've dumped well over $10K and you have not even bought wheels and tires. Maybe the wiring is shot. You can buy a decent coupe that runs for under $10K so why waste all the time and money to get where your could be now? If money is an issue then save up instead of slowly spending and still not having a car that is ready to drive. Just my two cents. I agree the steering wheel is worth more than the rest of the car.

Back