Pretty rare car ? 71 "M code" Coupe with toploader 4 speed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hello guys,

I need some infos about the Mustang that made me buy my own Mustang :)

Let me explain (but please excuse my english).

my father-in-law bought a 71 Mustang M-code Coupe in 1980 when he was 20 years old.

He kept the Mustang until early 2000, then he gave the car to his son, who unfortunately sold it a few years ago after he repainted the car in a beautiful modern violet.

I bought my Mustang (a 72 Q code Grande) in august 2011 because of that car.

My father-in-law and me used to talk a lot about his former Mustang and I couldn't stop asking questions about it. I wasn't that much in muscle cars at the time, but my interest in his car and american muscle cars grew a lot in a few months.

He told me that car was really fast and that he had tons of fun driving it. American cars weren't that much spread as today here in France, because the owners had to pay something called "super vignette" at the time which was a very expensive tax on powerful cars like the Mustang was. So expensive that he even couldn't afford it during a few years...

He didn't buy the car new though. He lived in Lyon, France at this time and while he was moving to a new flat, he saw an ad in the local newspaper. The ad was about someone selling a Corvette. He got very interested and decided to go and see the car. My father-in-law was, and still is, a big fan of machines that produce a lots of torque, and owning an american V8 car was kind of a dream for him.

When he arrived at the place, he was surprised to see a Mustang, not a Vette. He didn't really care about that and immediately decided to buy the car as he recently had a good money income, and the price was cool. The guy who owned it was a former rich guy that went bankrupt and needed cash.

First time he drove the car was "oooow my god it's really fast" :D

Some specs about the car :

71 Coupe with a 351C 4V block, all stock ; the VIN number tells us it was an M-code. It had a toploader four speed transmission with the Hurst shifter. Interior was plain black, with power windows. It had 14 inch steel wheels. The car had been repaint in grey by former owner, and had aftermarket Koni shocks.

It's been sold by Ford France in 1971 and had a "kph speedo".

VIN : 1F01M131429

BODY : 65 D

COLOR : V

TRIM : 3A

DATE : 10/70

DSO : 900150

AXLE : R

TRANS : 5

My father-in-law later added hood pins and the front spoiler.

Some pics from the 80s :

mustang pour Sly.jpg

mustang pour Sly 002.jpg

mustang pour Sly 003.jpg

mustang pour Sly 004.jpg

mustang pour Sly 005.jpg

mustang pour Sly 001.jpg

ssssssssssss.jpg

Some pics from 2004 with the beautiful paint and custom grill :

168841_184869291541732_100000559887138_593943_4006056_n-1.jpg

164075_184869471541714_100000559887138_593947_1161823_n.jpg

Was that a pretty rare car ? It seems to me M-code Coupes with toploader four speed are pretty rare.

If you have some infos about this particular model, or pics of M-code Coupes, etc. I'm really interested.

Now the car has been sold and belongs to a close neighbor who owns tons of different cars and do not take care of them at all ; motor and transmission have been parted and it's laying in a yard since a few years, winters included... Needless to say I'm very sad when I see her. This guy simply don't deserve to own such a car :(

(Now I need to find some interior pics)

Last edited by a moderator:
After doing a search of the registery on this forum only one coupe came up

that was M-code. Again a search for toploader produced one coupe.

According to the Marti report 100 M-code Grandes' (a dressed up coupe) also

came with a toploader. Maybe you should tell the current owner how rare

that car is and maybe he will take better care of it. Then again, offer him a

a few euros to remove that piece of junk from his property before another one

bites the dust. How many of the original 419 are still around after 41 years?

mike

Interior pic.

HPIM2877.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the "Reference", there were actually 419 hardtops (to include Grandes) built in 1971 with the M-Code and wide ratio 4-speed transmission.

Yes, that is a pretty rare Coupe.

BT

I agree...try to get it out of his yard and into yours. Maybe trade your running car for that broken one??? But only if the numbers support such trade. ;)

I'd love to buy it, but it looks like the only way to get our hands back on it is to steal it lol

Which value for such a Coupe if completely restored ???

Back