Quarter Panel to Rocker Separation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads73Ragtop

Reaction score
My Car
73 Ragtop with 351C. Never restored, no rust, no body sags.
I inherited my Dad's 73 ragtop that has never been restored. The original owner had it rust proofed and the body is in really great shape.

However, this past summer the car was placed on a lift. When the wheels left the ground, the rocker and quarter separated on both sides at the seam behind the doors. Typical with older convertibles, roof drain water was allowed to enter this area.

Can anyone advise what is required to repair this area?

Thanks.

Welcome from Arkansas. You should check the inner rockers for rust...can you post a pic of the area to be repaired? The position of the separation will tell where the problem is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my strongest area, but I suspect you will find a lot of rust if you pull the interior.

The rockers are a huge integral part of the chassis structure and if there is rust and separation at the point you indicated, things are moving around that aren't supposed to.

Rustproofing seems to operate on the idea that if you can eliminate all water entry, you can prevent rust. Unfortunately, you can't really prevent all water entry and it can sit inside the and eat away from the inside.

Hopefully it is isolated and manageable. You do need to look at the floorpans and the torque boxes and all suspension mounting points for rust issues.

When you are done add subframe connectors.

That doesn't sound good

Agree with Jeff's comments - sounds like inner rocker issues

Also how is the gap between the door and 1/4 panel

When the verts start to sag / bend that is the first gap that visably changes. Top will close up bottom will open up

Back