Question about a part and a filter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
Do any of you have a name for this part? Which end goes to the snorkle flapper and which size filter do I need for the ram air kit? This part has a bent end and a loose end with a plunger, which one goes to the snorkle? THanks.

P9130026.JPG

P9130028.JPG

Since my 72 ram air is off my car I took pictures of all of the actuators beginning with the smallest that goes through the bottom of the air cleaner. Hope they help. Almost forgot. Filter is a Hastings AF-140 or K&N E-1570

DSCN1146.JPGDSCN1147.JPGDSCN1148.JPGDSCN1149.JPGDSCN1150.JPGDSCN1151.JPGDSCN1152.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thats great info and pics. Still can you look at that little actuator and tell me which end goes to the snorkle flapper. Inside of the actuator is a bent piece of metal. One end is loose and has a plunger on it that goes down inside the nozzle. I think thats the end that goes to the snorkle and the other goes to the intake vacuum port but I want to make sure. BTW, bring that thing over to my house and we can sand and paint it, I think its going to rain this week.

You'll see 2 slots on the flapper of the snorkle. The end with the 90 degree bend slides into one of them depending on the actuator orientation. They'll be painted and pretty when I'm ready to install them. Trust me!

Lets try this again. Look at my photos. See that thing I am holding. I have turned it around and taken pics of it on both ends. Which end of that part has a hose that goes to the snorkle? The bent over end or the free end with a plunger. The 2 nipples on the bottom. One has the free end with a plunger and the other is bent over and has no plunger, which one of those nipples goes to the snorkle flapper. BTW I thought this was an EGR valve but I have been told its not.

Did you remove that part from it's housing? None of the vacuum actuators on the hood/air cleaner are open like that. They are all encased in a round canister with a nipple on one end for the hose and an arm on the opposite end that connects to the flappers. They are sealed so that the rubber diaphram inside that housing will work off of the vacuum to operate it. With the exception of the one inside the air cleaner, you'll see that the housings are rivited to the flapper housings. So did they send you just the actator without the housing?

This might help

71%20351C%204v%20Ram%20Air%20with%20dvcv.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you remove that part from it's housing? None of the vacuum actuators on the hood/air cleaner are open like that. They are all encased in a round canister with a nipple on one end for the hose and an arm on the opposite end that connects to the flappers. They are sealed so that the rubber diaphram inside that housing will work off of the vacuum to operate it. With the exception of the one inside the air cleaner, you'll see that the housings are rivited to the flapper housings. So did they send you just the actator without the housing?
Yes, this is the part I am holding. One hose end coming from this goes to the snorkle flapper and the other hose goes to intake vacuum port. Which end goes to the snorkle, the loose end with the plunger or the bent end.

DSCN1146.JPG

On the drawing that's circled. The one on the right has a movable plunger and goes to the flaps. It is also the plunger that has the goove in it for the spring clip that holds it in.

Back