reinstall a/c or save parts and leave out.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Black conv.
Planning to remove the engine in my 73 convertible (with a/c) to examine the bottom end due to low oil pressure. The shop owner doing the work suggested leaving the a/c out of the car when the engine goes back inand plugging the holes in the firewall etc. The a/c unit is functional and blows cold air but I never use it living in Pennsylvania. I was planning to reinstall it but now I am really considering his suggestion. It would be a cleaner engine bay and a little less weight to carry around. On the other hand it is original to the car. I am torn about what to do....What do other members think? Reinstall or save parts and leave off? Thanks! Rick

Would it be detrimental to the compressor etc. to leave it off the car and reinstall down the road? In other words will it be as functional in the future if stored or is it prone to deterioration off the car? Best way to store if any?

Your evaporator hard lines will be protruding through the firewall a few inches,remove the expansion valve, plug it for storage, and cap the lines at the firewall, and you will need to cap them off to prevent debris and any moisture from entering, which may corrode the evap core. Likewise the compressor should be stored with any openings sealed. I'd even cap the hoses to prevent spiders and such from making a home inside of them while stored, although, if stored long enough, they may get old, harder, and difficult to route later. Same deal with the condenser in front of your radiator.....remove it and cap it off. Your "reciever-dryer" cannister should be replaced anyway if, and when, you decide to re-install the A/C system, but I'd keep it as a sample, when you go to purchase another. You won't need the throttle position solenoid anymore as well. Keep all the brackets, idler pulley, and fasteners, because you may be suprised at the cost of getting it all at a later date, and should you want, or have to sell the car, the next owner will likely want all that was on the car from you. I would want it, although I rarely ever use it.

Thanks Sheriff41 and Spike for your thoughts! The car was sold new in Texas by the way so I bet the a/c was a blessing! I am leaning towards leaving it off with those great storage points.

I'm in eastern PA and it can get brutally hot and humid here all the way through September. We have already had four 85 degree days in April, not humid this early though, but those were oddball weather days and it's back to the high 50's for the time being. JMHO of course, but I'd have the AC reinstalled since it is functioning and blowing cold. You may decide down the road that you want it, and then have to battle any issues at that time, and/or purchase any misplaced parts. The shop owner also might not want the hassle of reinstalling it and getting it functional again, so he is making this suggestion. Also, if you sell the car at some point an original AC car with everything working is certainly worth more.

I will say Ford AC systems seem to kick butt. A friend's family in the late 70's had a '73 Montego (351C 2V) and they did not maintain the car very well, but the AC was always ice cold. Plus my wife had a '99 Expedition Eddie Bauer until we traded it at 207,000 miles and the AC was ice cold and never needed recharging.

Planning to remove the engine in my 73 convertible (with a/c) to examine the bottom end due to low oil pressure. The shop owner doing the work suggested leaving the a/c out of the car when the engine goes back inand plugging the holes in the firewall etc. The a/c unit is functional and blows cold air but I never use it living in Pennsylvania. I was planning to reinstall it but now I am really considering his suggestion. It would be a cleaner engine bay and a little less weight to carry around. On the other hand it is original to the car. I am torn about what to do....What do other members think? Reinstall or save parts and leave off? Thanks! Rick
I live in Pa and wished my ac worked! Sometimes nice to cruise with the top up and ac cranking!!

I vote leave them on the car. That's the one place you can make sure all the parts are accounted for and working.
Plus a car with AC is worth more than one with all the AC parts taken off and sitting in a box. Worth even less is a car with the AC taken off and some of the parts missing so you can't even put it back together.

Good to hear the various opinions. Such a great forum for 71-73 owners. Thanks all ! I still have time to consider what to do as it is one of the last steps in putting the engine compartment back together.

I too think it’s best to reinstall it. Functioning AC that blows cold is a great option to have on the car and it is how the car shipped, so yes keep it.
I have a ‘71 Mach 1 with the factory AC and got mine serviced so it would function correctly during its restoration.

I removed the A/C in my 71, with the intent of possibly reinstalling it later. By replacing the heater flow valve with a 3/8" x 3" brass pipe nipple from Home Depot, I was able to keep all the original hoses intact.

I would not be too fast with removing the original A/C unit. Unless you live really high up into the northern section of PA, I can assure you the Summer heat will become very uncomfortable, unless you have the top down. But, I bet you already know that... Personally, I would either try to get the A/C working again, or replacing it with a newer design. Both of our 73 Mustangs came without factory A/C. The first thing I did was order a Classic Air kit for both cars. If you end up considering a full A/C system upgrade and replacement, those are my Go To folks. If you want to stick with the original technology (which works just fine), the Classic Air folks also provide parts for the older A/C systems as well. Their web addresses are provided below.

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/complete-ac-systems/1972-ford-mustang-air-conditioning-system/

https://www.originalair.com/

I would reinstall it and have it operational again. Storage is not kind on any second hand air conditioning components, especially the front seal on the compressor. Modern A/C oils are hygroscopic too.

Back