Rear ended, hit and run!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
Some scum human rear ended me and my wife yesterday…no injuries to us, however the Mustang will need work…I havent crawled under yet, or looked extensively in trunk…pictures don’t show well the flex and movement….but definitely the bumper and supports, the valance, tail panel, and quarter are damaged, the worst is the quarter damage, it has a side bulge, and is lifted up and in slightly. I suspect that means it tweaked the frame in the same way….

i am really pissed, I just completed the car 3 months ago!!!! I have good insurance….

i got hit in a right hand turn lane, then he scooted around me as I got out of the car, I was able to hit his car with my hand, and get the make model color and tag of the car…cops were headed to the owners address when the report was concluded….told the cop they could find my handprint on rear of car as proof lol..

Attachments

• IMG_3363.jpeg
    IMG_3363.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3366.jpeg
    IMG_3366.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3368.jpeg
    IMG_3368.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3360.jpeg
    IMG_3360.jpeg
    835.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3373.jpeg
    IMG_3373.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3357.jpeg
    IMG_3357.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3362.jpeg
    IMG_3362.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
What a bummer. Glad everyone's ok. Great job on getting the vehicle info and putting your prints on it. Hopefully they have insurance so you can file though theirs first to get what you can from them before filling through yours if you need to make up the difference.

I try to have dash cams in all my cars for occasions like this. I have not come up with a good spot to put it in the 73 mustangs. The windshield is only like 10" tall. Dont want the camera and its wire blocking half the view.

Sorry to hear. That sucks. I second the dash cam. I have one in my Mustang as well as my daily. Not only there for just in case, but I often can look back when something interesting happens in front of me.

That really sucks. He’s probably an uninsured pos. I hardly drive my car because there’s so many idiots on the road. It’s unfortunate that so many in society don’t take responsibility for their actions. Making things worse is the fact that the consequences seem to be very minimal these days.
One of the things they started doing here is rear end you, then come out of their car and steal yours at gunpoint.
I admired result of your hard work. Your car is beautiful. I am confident you will get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Maybe you could have an electrical boot release and stick a camera in the keyhole.
Just brainstorming. Someone might come up with a better idea.
I'm in a worse position,. I have a convertible.

I try to have dash cams in all my cars for occasions like this. I have not come up with a good spot to put it in the 73 mustangs. The windshield is only like 10" tall. Dont want the camera and its wire blocking half the view.
Not for everyone, but I replaced (well never had the original) rear view mirror with one that has a camera built in. Also has a backup camera and records both front and back at all times. Blends in pretty well and the wire comes down the center where the mounting post is so it doesn't stick out a bunch.

Not for everyone, but I replaced (well never had the original) rear view mirror with one that has a camera built in. Also has a backup camera and records both front and back at all times. Blends in pretty well and the wire comes down the center where the mounting post is so it doesn't stick out a bunch.
Dude, more information on your camera please.

I'll see if I can find the exact details, but it was something like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082XW8217/. Most of these clamp to an existing mirror. I wasn't crazy about that and stumbled on a mount made to mount to the back of the camera / mirror I have and made it info a regular mirror that replaces everything.

The actual mount to the glass was the wrong size so 3D printed a little adapter to go from it to the mount on the glass. This was all a few years ago so I'd have to dig around to find the details. Also I think mine is a 12" mirror. It's a little large, so I'll probably downsize it to a 10" at some point. They also have some now that run Android so it's possible to get Android Auto / Carplay up there for maps and what not which is tempting. But I'm gonna assume that will be quirky at best if not flat out junk.

Some scum human rear ended me and my wife yesterday…no injuries to us, however the Mustang will need work…I havent crawled under yet, or looked extensively in trunk…pictures don’t show well the flex and movement….but definitely the bumper and supports, the valance, tail panel, and quarter are damaged, the worst is the quarter damage, it has a side bulge, and is lifted up and in slightly. I suspect that means it tweaked the frame in the same way….

i am really pissed, I just completed the car 3 months ago!!!! I have good insurance….

i got hit in a right hand turn lane, then he scooted around me as I got out of the car, I was able to hit his car with my hand, and get the make model color and tag of the car…cops were headed to the owners address when the report was concluded….told the cop they could find my handprint on rear of car as proof lol..
RIBS, I'm so very sorry this has happened to you and your Awesome Mustang. I had the same thing happened to me many years ago on Simonton Road at New Hope Road in Lawrenceville. My wife and I were rear ended and when I got out the crum backed up and took off but not before I got his tag number, My Taurus had to be fixed and I called police and they said what do you want us to do about this. The gentleman was in our country illegally and didn't have a drivers license. We were on our way to the funeral home in Gainesville for the visitation for my baby brother. Again I'm so very sorry that this happened to you sir.

Aaahhh nice. I was worried that the bumper was a bit low but your image is good. I was also toying with drilling holes in the bumper and putting reversing sensors in. Could put a camera housing inside at the same time and then re-crome the whole lot. Car parking spaces seem to be getting narrower and shorter and I'm getting too old to turn my head around. Plus a convertible has limited vision with the top up.
Thanks JS

Disassembled to inspect for additional damage, and to apply touch up paint on bare metal….i am heading out for a weekend trip before estimating and repairs are done, so I wanted to prevent rust…

Attachments

• IMG_3414.jpeg
    IMG_3414.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3399.jpeg
    IMG_3399.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3425.jpeg
    IMG_3425.jpeg