Rear Leaf Spring Replacemnet Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
When replacing the rear leaf springs, are there any "anti squeak" pads that need to be installed? I ordered a "leaf spring kit" which has springs, bushings, shackles, u-bolts and stuff, I just don't want to start the job and find that I am missing something.

Thanks

I didn't on mine, and it's been fine. I replaced exatly what you have. The springs should have a waffer thin piece of plastic/rubber/nylon between the leafs at the end of each leaf.

I didn't on mine, and it's been fine. I replaced exatly what you have. The springs should have a waffer thin piece of plastic/rubber/nylon between the leafs at the end of each leaf.
When I researched How to replace the springs on line, I saw that there were some rubber gaskets between the rear end plate and the shock mount.

Was there one on yours?

The Super Suspension Kit I received from Laurel Mountain did not have any rubber pads to go between the axle pads and spring retainer plates.

That doesn't mean there aren't supposed to be any, but just that my replacement kit didn't have any. My opinion (based on all the off-road vehicles and spring kits I've swapped over the years) says they're not necessary and that you want a solid connection between the spring packs, axle and spring pack retainer plates. When the rubber pads wear out, it will cause noise and all sorts of unwanted 'movement' between the spring packs, U-bolts, and retainer plates, which could lead to loosening of the U-bolts and premature wear (with potential failure) of the components - not to mention, the axle hopping around will affect handling as well.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those rubber pads are great at introducing spring wrap and wheel hop. Leave them out. My friend with a '70 camaro lunched two drive shafts at the strip before I suggested he take his factory rubber pads out.

Back