Replacement Top DYI

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the final stages of doing my top myself. I am so detailed, its better I do it myself but I'm sure I didn't save any money. I do hope to have a better job once done than if I hired it. I did one on a '66 Olds Delta 88 about twenty years ago in a weekend, but only had to do the vinyl. My Mustang had a new top done about 2000 but it was obvious a poor job. There were wear tears in spots on the top from rubbing while down that shouldn't have been there. I got more pieces of padding and extra parts in the new kit than were on the car as well. The Ford manual I saw online had pictures but not very complete, mostly worthless. Lots of figuring out the puzzle, common sense, and looking at every picture I could find of the inside rear with pads, but I think I have the pads on right. When I had the top off the frame, I cleaned it up and repainted it. The top is going on well. I have the rear curtain on and started on the top itself. The two rear quarter trim sticks are done. Seems all tight and no large wrinkles. I spent many hours on each of the three trim sticks & the top adjusting, measuring, removing staples and re-doing to get right. Not for the faint of heart to cut the first holes for the screw/bolts that hold the top to the car. Screw up and wasted hours and $$. I went on the loose side and tightened up, just in case. Meant I knew I would be re-doing, but worth it to me. But then each time you take the trim sticks on & off means leaning under the window, over the rear seat, and taking 4-8 bolts out that are frustrating to line back up and find the holes. Starting on the rest in a few weekends. I'll post a picture when I get it done.
I finished the top a few weekends ago. Just added the Mach 1 stripes. A lot of work and I would do a few things different next time. The line up of the rear bow should be about .75" higher than what I did but it works and doesn't leak. Also I don't think the cloth top streches as much as a stock vinyl so next time I'll adjust how I do the front bow. But in reality I hope there never is a "next time" and this top lasts decades in my garage.

73 Mustang with Mach 1 stripes.jpg

I finished the top a few weekends ago. Just added the Mach 1 stripes. A lot of work and I would do a few things different next time. The line up of the rear bow should be about .75" higher than what I did but it works and doesn't leak. Also I don't think the cloth top streches as much as a stock vinyl so next time I'll adjust how I do the front bow. But in reality I hope there never is a "next time" and this top lasts decades in my garage.
Now that it's been on a while how is it? Are you pleased with the kit? What vendor did you get the cloth top from?

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/387/1971-73-Ford-Mustang

I was pleased with the kit overall. It came with everything but the instructions left a lot to be desired. I had taken 50+ photos as I took it apart and that helped a lot. The new tack material works good. The pads that came with it were great but no instructions on how to place the rear quarter pads. Mine didn't have them when I removed the top installed a decade ago. I got them on but am not happy with them. The cloth top doesn't stretch as much as the vinyl one so I wouldn't move the material forward more than a .25-.5 inch when fastening the top to the header instead of the inch they recommend. Also like I said above, I'd move the rear bow up about .75" next time. This would help line up the crease spot on this bow better with the rear tack strips than I ended up doing mine. It holds out the water when I wash it and looks good. For the install I ordered two different rivets from a company in CA, Hanson Rivet. One type, AD48AH Aluminum Closed End Blind Rivet - stock #PAAD408AH, to hold down the rear tack material in the rear bow (factory used large staples) along with 3M trim adhesive. The other rivets were to hold the front tack strip (factory did rivets here) on with adhesive as well, SSD53SSH Stainless Closed-End Blind Rivet with Stainless Mandrel, Dome Head 5/32 X .125-.187 Grip - stock #PTTD503H. One very minor "wave" at a rear corner when its up. Haven't had it in the rain yet.

In case you meant the stripes, I just got those from Mustangs Unlimited and they are Ford authorized ones.

Back