Replacing dealer installed fender protector strips/rub rails/fender guards

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1965 Mustang 2+2
1973 Mustang Convertable
Whatever the heck them dang things is called. The PO(previous Owner) my younger brother, didn't replace, just re-used them when he had the car repainted. The old ones are toooo ugly to keep.

For now I have to replace them, as it isnt time to re-do body work. Weld up holes, blend in repair, repaint body, is fer later after mechanical modernizations, and such.

What is the aesthetically pleasing 7173 method/fix/aftermarket part to use here??

rtfc0g.jpg
[/img]

and while we're on aesthetics, anyone interested in swapping your convertable luggage rack for my Mach 1 spoiler & mounts??

Tubo

I'm kinda digging the luggage rack too. I replaced the wheel well strips on my car when i got it because to originals hdd done their job well over the years and were pretty dented up. I dont know who makes them but Don at OMS probably had experience with the suppliers. Mine were polished aluminum and had the oval holes to match up with the factory screw holes perfectly. Fortunately all the original screws came out easily and it was a 45 minute job including the time spent cleaning the area under the strips. I like the look without the strips but they do a good job preventing door bumps from idiots. I know this because a week after i replaced them a clown in a SUV opened his door into one of the new ones while i was standing there. New dent, but only in the aluminum protector. BTW the torque thrusts look great with the body color!

Thank You ww72, however I mean, not the wheel well trim, rather the aluminum holder with the rubber/plastic insert that starts at the nose of the car, and ends 8 in. or so behind the doors. on top of the body accent line/belt line. It not origional factory equipment, it is dealer installed or aftermarket. Supposed to prevent dings in the accent line of the body.

+ 1 with Jeff

It is original and not made

Is it all bad, or just parts?

Your probably stuck with it untill you want to repaint

It would even be a pain to try and put some after-market self stick

type on there. The center sections of the original strips are held on with stud pins and plastic clips - ends have a hole for clip stud and nut.

I thought the bodyside protection mouldings were aftermarket only and added by the dealers or their vendors.

Interesting - does anyone have a Marti or window sticker with this option listed?

Learning all the time...

Ray

I thought the bodyside protection mouldings were aftermarket only and added by the dealers or their vendors.

Interesting - does anyone have a Marti or window sticker with this option listed?

Learning all the time...

Ray
Here's my 72 marti with it listed ...

72coupeMARTI.pdf

Attachments

• 72coupeMARTI.pdf
    285.7 KB · Views: 22
I see. Thanks. I need to brush up on these different option packages!

The Protection Package (available on all except Mach 1's) had the "bright body side molding with vinyl insert; funtional front and rear bumper guards".

So your car has the front and rear bumper guards as well?

Ray

I see. Thanks. I need to brush up on these different option packages!

The Protection Package (available on all except Mach 1's) had the "bright body side molding with vinyl insert; funtional front and rear bumper guards".

So your car has the front and rear bumper guards as well?

Ray
I have rear bumper guards but not front ones...I think my front bumper was changed early in the car's life... I wish it still had the front guards.... :cool:

Back