Replacing door speakers - what is recommended and how much depth can the car accept before issues with window operation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
My 73 vert has blown replacement speakers of 2 different sizes (with different sized holes. I am about to install an amp and powered sub and would like to install some higher end speakers. I am thinking of either welding in a plate and recutting holes (or pop riveting one in. Any suggestions as to what to put in and how much depth I can tolerate? I am thinking of using 6" round component speakers (mount the tweeter in the plate next to the mid range and the crossover low in the door) but I am not married to any idea.

Open to suggestions

Thanks

Hi Animal,

I had a similar outcome like Tony Muscle. I ended up going Polk Audio Brand, and chose a 5x7 inch speaker. My choice was based around the fact that is was to be very hard for me to find a speaker that was not to big in length and breadth size, but more importantly, to find a speaker that had a shallow depth profile to it as well. I chose a Marine rated speaker, as a bonus. Given that the location of the door speaker/ speaker grille is prone to water ingress, a marine speced speaker made a lot of sense to me, to help avoid any potential water damage. My speaker model was DB 571 a few years ago. Polk Audio have upgraded that model to the DB572. I would say both models are identical in the specs. Amazon are still selling the DB571 model. Mine sounded great with plenty of power output.

Like Tony, i had to do very little metal modification to the door inner frame for the fit up, and i found that when the speakers were installed, i just had enough clearance room with the window mechanism. See my links and photos below. Hope that helps.

https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/product/db-series/db572
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-7-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF96?th=1

Cheers.

Greg.:)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 016.JPG