Help with replacement of car radio and speakers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" code Mach 1
Well I can't take it anymore! My '72 has the original AM/FM radio. The aftermarket speakers, previous installed in the doors and rear package tray, are basically toast.
I am a quasi audiophile who loves listening to music wherever I may be. Currently I can get but one or two stations and turning up the volume sounds like driving through a hail storm. LOL
I'm not really interested in all the bells and whistles offered in the RetroRadio line up. Would like to hear any and all suggestions, experiences, and warnings for a replacement stereo system.
I like to listen to a great variety of tunes. Despite my better half's protestations I like it LOUD.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 72Mach1Mustang (26)@330b95100ce44c04ab916792fea475be.JPG
    72Mach1Mustang (26)@330b95100ce44c04ab916792fea475be.JPG
    770.8 KB · Views: 0
If you like the 70s vibe that these cars have (which I do!) I recommend doing what I did:
I put a decent amplifier under the package tray. Then I custom made a subwoofer box and put that in there too. I mounted high efficiency speakers in the usual places. I then ran wires from the amp to a bluetooth receiver, that I mounted cleanly in the console ashtray area, (since I don't allow smoking in my car). So now everything looks like proper 1970s, since the AM FM 8Track is in the dash (not hooked to amp) and the new tech is all hidden. I pair my phone to the bluetooth receiver, and I get loud, clean music that's already on my phone, or I can stream any music service I want. (might as well use your phone since it goes everywhere with you, anyway)

Here is how I mounted the bluetooth receiver, and the Amp's power switch (red light on the toggle).
That particular bluetooth receiver is no longer made, but there are plenty of choices out there.

Attachments

• 20230220_080021 copy.jpg
    20230220_080021 copy.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I did the same, left the factory radio and dash speaker inplace. Added a bluetooth compatable amp with a couple 6x9 speakers in the rear tray. Factory stuff still works and I can pair to the amp until my ears bleed.

Last edited:
I have a Retrosound with Bluetooth and I can plug a thumb drive in it too. 6x9’s in the back factory locations, no amp and it rocks very well! I can hear it with the windows down no problem. To many bells and whistles? Pretty much any radio nowadays have this simple set up.
I had a Custom Autosound before this and that piece of crap barley lasted a year. The Retrosound is way better and very easy to use.

Well I can't take it anymore! My '72 has the original AM/FM radio. The aftermarket speakers, previous installed in the doors and rear package tray, are basically toast.
I am a quasi audiophile who loves listening to music wherever I may be. Currently I can get but one or two stations and turning up the volume sounds like driving through a hail storm. LOL
I'm not really interested in all the bells and whistles offered in the RetroRadio line up. Would like to hear any and all suggestions, experiences, and warnings for a replacement stereo system.
I like to listen to a great variety of tunes. Despite my better half's protestations I like it LOUD.
Thanks!
It depends how original you want to keep your car. I had the same problem but I solved it by having a kit installed in my AM/FM radio. Luckily my speakers were still fine but its easy to replace just those. Aurora makes a kit that replaces the guts of the radio but does not affect the outside face of the radio. The new electronics are far superior to the original sound and the unit provides Bluetooth and an outlet for a USB drive in the back. I connected a small cord to it and now I enjoy pre-recorded music from my USB stick under the dash. One thing though, this was not inexpensive.

Also...one of those "while your in there" projects if you're replacing/upgrading the radio...it wouldn't be a bad idea to check your speaker wiring for frays or shorts. I'd also give the under the dash glass fuses & fuse block a cleaning with Deoxit.

Last edited:
The 1967-1973 Ford Mustang Custom Autosound USA-230 AM/FM Stereo Radio, 200 watts is about $200.00 on Amazon. It is a cost effective alternative and it has an audio input for a MP3 player (or an old iPhone :) ). You can put a dual 3.5" kicker speaker in the dash for an easy install. My installation sounds awesome.

Back