Restoring a 1973 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attached are a couple of pictures of the inside of the cowl. Should be okay to get rid of rust and paint?
Yes, you'll want to clean that up. The real problem areas in the cowl are over to the right and left where the fresh air ducts are located. Water tends to set in those areas and rust through around the hats. I think @RIBS did some work on his and included pictures in his build thread. If not, Ron @73MustangCoupe may have some in his thread on the Rickster.

I thought the Rickster cowl was okay when I got the car. I put a water hose into the cowl and found water on the floor of the passenger compartment confirming that the cowl was rusted out around the air hats. It was a quick and easy way to confirm that the rust monster was also in the cowl.

I thought the Rickster cowl was okay when I got the car. I put a water hose into the cowl and found water on the floor of the passenger compartment confirming that the cowl was rusted out around the air hats. It was a quick and easy way to confirm that the rust monster was also in the cowl.
I put some water to the Cowl and found it leaked on the outside of the car about 6 to 10 inches behind front tires, See attached picture. Would you sand blast this area to clean rust? What product would you advise for the rust and finish?

Attachments

• IMG_1899[3295].jpg
    IMG_1899[3295].jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
The water leaving the cowl should go through a small (about 1.5 inches) semicircular opening on each side that allows it to flow down the inside of the fender (which is removable) and onto the ground behind each front tire. You can just remove the fender and see if there is any rust there. If any water makes it through the cowl and winds up inside, that's going to be a headache, but if your inside floors are dry, you are golden.

Back