reverse light switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Getting closer to installing my toploader from the 73 Q donor car.

have the pedals hung, have all new clutch parts etc, waiting on a new starter ring gear and doing some mods on the linkage and z bar.

I have been looking for a reverse light switch , mine mounts into the transmission case and I cannot seem to locate one, my best guess is that only the 73 models used this case switch ?

also need to repair the harness (not a big deal) anyone have any info on this switch ?

Boilermaster

boilermaster, the switch you need was used on three different Ford cars. 1970 full size Ford, 70-71 Torino, 70-73 Mustang, all equipped with the top loader 4sp. Part number is DOZZ-15520-A (Motorcraft SW-943). If you want genuine NOS Ford there are a couple of them on E Bay (not cheap) just type the Ford PN. If your just looking for a functional switch and NOS is not a concern, try Don (OMS). You can trust his opinion on the quality of aftermarket switch. http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3171

boilermaster, the switch you need was used on three different Ford cars. 1970 full size Ford, 70-71 Torino, 70-73 Mustang, all equipped with the top loader 4sp. Part number is DOZZ-15520-A (Motorcraft SW-943). If you want genuine NOS Ford there are a couple of them on E Bay (not cheap) just type the Ford PN. If your just looking for a functional switch and NOS is not a concern, try Don (OMS). You can trust his opinion on the quality of aftermarket switch. http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3171
secluff,

SW493 motorcraft is for a reverse light switch that is mounted on the OEM hurst shifter.

The switch I am describing is on the left upper corner of the transmission case , it has a hole bored into the case and is secured with two bolts via a hold down strap, 2 wires.

I just took it for granted that the broken wires about a foot from the switch and the 2 in the engine compartment were from the reverse light.

Could this possibly be a different switch ?

boilermaster

boilermaster, the switch on the shifter is the reverse light switch. I let the fact that your donor car is a 73 slip past me. 72 (built after 12/1/71) and 73 Mustangs and Torino's with the 4sp manual transmissions had a seat belt warning sensor switch that screwed into the left front part of the housing. The same switch was also used on 1973 3sp Torino, Mustang, Maverick, and 73-75 Broncos. The 74/ carlines used a different switch. The switch basically did the same thing as the automatic cars did when you put the car in gear without the seat belts fastened. If you can read the ID on the old switch it should read D2AR-7E449-BA (P/N D2OZ-7E449-A). I have a feeling a lot of these were left disconnected if the trans was ever pulled for any reason along with various other buzzers and lights. Got to remember this was the 70's and the Government was busy protecting us from ourselves! There was a plug Ford released for the housing when it was used to service a car built before 12/1/71 that did not use the switch.

Unfortunately all has long since been discontinued!

boilermaster, the switch on the shifter is the reverse light switch. I let the fact that your donor car is a 73 slip past me. 72 (built after 12/1/71) and 73 Mustangs and Torino's with the 4sp manual transmissions had a seat belt warning sensor switch that screwed into the left front part of the housing. The same switch was also used on 1973 3sp Torino, Mustang, Maverick, and 73-75 Broncos. The 74/ carlines used a different switch. The switch basically did the same thing as the automatic cars did when you put the car in gear without the seat belts fastened. If you can read the ID on the old switch it should read D2AR-7E449-BA (P/N D2OZ-7E449-A). I have a feeling a lot of these were left disconnected if the trans was ever pulled for any reason along with various other buzzers and lights. Got to remember this was the 70's and the Government was busy protecting us from ourselves! There was a plug Ford released for the housing when it was used to service a car built before 12/1/71 that did not use the switch.

Unfortunately all has long since been discontinued!

Thank you Secluff,

Not what I was expecting but it is what it is.

Perhaps I can repurpose that puppy into something useful

case closed.

boilermaster.

Latest posts

Back