RIP David Pearson

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Wood Brothers No. 21

The No. 21 car owned by the Wood Brothers has been around nearly as long as NASCAR (due to sponsor obligations, the car did have to change to the No. 7 for the 1985 and 1986 seasons).

The list of drivers who have driven the legendary No. 21 car reads like a who’s who of NASCAR greats. Glen Wood, Marvin Panch, Cale Yarborough, A.J. Foyt, Neil Bonnett, Dale Jarrett and Ricky Rudd are just a handful of drivers who have found success driving for the famed team.

But it is David Pearson who was the greatest driver to ever pilot the No. 21 car.

From 1972 through 1979, Pearson was the driver of Wood Brothers Mercury sponsored by Purolator. He drove the No. 21 car in 143 races. During that time, he amassed 43 of his 105 wins and scored 101 top-10 finishes.

He will be missed.

pearson 1N.jpg

Pearson 2.JPG

Ray

He raced some in his vintage 1950 Ford coupe in the Spartanburg, Greenville area until just a few years ago. Could give some of the SBC a run with his flathead.

I loved to watch him on dirt tracks.

I was going through stuff in the garage yesterday and found some of the NASCAR stuff. Have some pit crew shirt back panels from Bill Elliott #9 days. Will have to post a pic they got his name backwards on them, lol.

I quit going to NASCAR races in 1969 because I learned how political it was and not always the best man winning and still that way.

This makes me feel even older.

Back