Towing problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
Well after waiting a year to get into the restoration shop, the 73 is finally there. And not without problems. The shop has a tow company that they use and recommended, but after contacting Hagerty, where my insurance is through, they said they provide licensed tow trucks to use. Tow was scheduled between 3-4pm, got a text at 1pm they were 60-90 minutes away. So 2 hours early. I bang out of work to make sure I am home, and the tow truck ends up not being there until 4:30 pm. Whatever, out of my control. They get it loaded up and follow me to the shop. Well, the straps destroyed one of my rear tires, not completely unexpected as they were old and dry rotted and were getting replaced anyways. So myself and two of the shop guys get it pushed into the spot, driver takes off, all good. As I am leaving, I happen to look over and see a giant crease in the panel behind my front passenger tire, I am assuming from a strap. The tow truck driver took pictures before and after it was unloaded but of course didn't mention the new damage. I called Hagerty as soon as they opened this morning and an agent will be getting back to me. To say I am absolutely fuming is an understatement. Anyone have experience dealing with this?

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    881 KB · Views: 0
I wouldnt get too bent out of shape about it. That looks like a fender, which is easily replacable. And from the looks of it, was already gonna need rust repair, body work, and paint. Its not like it was some pristine museum quality part that got damaged.

This is why people have insurance and why tow truck companies are bonded and insured. Let the process work. In most cases like this, you'll come out ahead. Your car is at the restoration shop. Let them write up whatever its gonna cost to fix, and let them bill the tow guy, who they apparently already do regular business with.

The only rust repair it needs is behind the rear tires, have 1 dime sized hole on each side. On the bottom of that is just surface and rubs off. It definitely needs paint as this is the original, and I know its not in pristine condition. I'm trying not to get too rattled, but besides cosmetics the body "was" straight. My issue is that my shop recommended a tow company, Hagerty said no, dispatched some other company, and now I am dealing with this. I just don't want the blame baton passed back and forth ending up with nothing getting resolved and me ultimately ending up with the extra bill.

I dont quite follow the part about hagerty saying you couldn't use whatever tow truck company you want. To me, thats silly.
Tow truck companies should have their own bonding and insurance. If I want to have my car towed, I'm gonna use whatever company I want. And if my insurance company doesnt like it, tough. I'll fire them if I must. Thats not their decision to make.

But whats done is done now. You can file a claim with your insurance and let them battle it out with the tow truck company's insurance. Or you can go to the tow truck company directly and let them know they damaged your goods and its on them to fix it. Multiple ways of getting this taken care of.

I dont quite follow the part about hagerty saying you couldn't use whatever tow truck company you want. To me, thats silly.
Tow truck companies should have their own bonding and insurance. If I want to have my car towed, I'm gonna use whatever company I want. And if my insurance company doesnt like it, tough. I'll fire them if I must. Thats not their decision to make.

But whats done is done now. You can file a claim with your insurance and let them battle it out with the tow truck company's insurance. Or you can go to the tow truck company directly and let them know they damaged your goods and its on them to fix it. Multiple ways of getting this taken care of.
I don't get it either, that just what the agent on the phone told me. They have companies they use and will dispatch them. But you are completely correct, it happened and it is what it is, I am obviously just being salty. I did call the company right away and of course went to voicemail with a full inbox. So I will let hagerty deal with it, and will definitely be using the shops tow guy when I take it home. I appreciate the vent haha

When my '69 broke the distributor shaft somewhere in NY Hagerty knew who was close & guaranteed them.
I specifically asked for a ramp truck and they told me that their policy is to always use flatbed/roller/ramp trucks on classic/antique vehicles.
Sometimes it takes longer for one to get there, but I appreciate them doing some CYA and keeping customers happy.

I'm sure it is crazy frustrating to have your car damaged like that. Luckily you have options and the damage is well documented. Keep posting on the process, I'm interested to see how it gets resolved. As I'm sure you know, your insurance company is an agent, working for you. Don't settle on anything unless your 110% satisfied with the resolution. Time is leverage and in this case, time is on your side. No need to get in a hurry, the car is in "resto" jail for many, many months to come.

On another note, congrats on finally getting the car into the restoration shop... one step closer to saving your car and having it to drive and enjoy.

That's a win!

When my '69 broke the distributor shaft somewhere in NY Hagerty knew who was close & guaranteed them.
I specifically asked for a ramp truck and they told me that their policy is to always use flatbed/roller/ramp trucks on classic/antique vehicles.
Sometimes it takes longer for one to get there, but I appreciate them doing some CYA and keeping customers happy.
Yep this was a ramp truck as well. Seems like the tow guy was in a hurry so unloading it had a strap get caught. But I finally just heard back from Hagerty after 3 different transfers, and they are having me get an estimate from the shop I am at to send over and are going to take care of it. Again not a beautiful car but not letting someone off the hook for damage that I didn't do.

I'm sure it is crazy frustrating to have your car damaged like that. Luckily you have options and the damage is well documented. Keep posting on the process, I'm interested to see how it gets resolved. As I'm sure you know, your insurance company is an agent, working for you. Don't settle on anything unless your 110% satisfied with the resolution. Time is leverage and in this case, time is on your side. No need to get in a hurry, the car is in "resto" jail for many, many months to come.

On another note, congrats on finally getting the car into the restoration shop... one step closer to saving your car and having it to drive and enjoy.

That's a win!
Very frustrating! Took me until this morning to to just let it go knowing it would get fixed, but obviously in the moment I was very irritated. Full faith in the shop that its at as they have a whole body side completely separate from the "restoration" side. Yes thank you!! She is up on the lift and the tranny is already out, with the motor following to the machine shop sometime next week! Well worth the year wait as I know some have waited much much longer.

Be thankful it was "before" and not "after" the restro. Then I'd be sick with you.
That is an absolute fact. The shop I am at already got most of the crease out with minimal work, but still wrote up an estimate for me to submit for the claim.

You got one job: load / unload cars, bring them safely from a to b, everyday and you're freakin not even able to set/tension/check the straps??
It's beyond me how some can be such careless cro-magnons.

I don't understand why Haggerty was even involved if this wasn't an accident claim

I don't understand why Haggerty was even involved if this wasn't an accident claim
Hagerty is the one that dispatched the tow truck. Or I guess "Hagertys Driver Club". I requested to use the company my shop uses, but they said all of theirs are licensed and are familiar with towing classics so they will dispatch one for me. So I guess technically the claim is through Agero, who hagerty partners with to dispatch tow companies.

Back