Trans fluid pressure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not engaging in gear. Nothing, not even seatbelt buzzer when move shifter
I'm assuming you've checked the fluid and made sure that the pan is full? (Not trying to be mean or any disrespect, just cover all the bases)

Also have you gotten under the car and made sure that the linkage is moving when you move the shifter? I've been told these can bind up on our cars and break, so something to check.

Before you do too much it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the trans pan, check your filter, and inspect the pan for metal shavings, this will also let you asses the fluid condition in the pan, and give you a nice point to start with for known fluid level.

So it worked fine and then just stopped working one day.

Unlikely that you've busted something in it.

You say the filter is new (not blocked with clutch dust), that there is plenty of fluid in the pan and that the shifter lever is actually moving the transmission gear lever.

What's left? Torque converter? Unlikely that just decided to die completely.

Do the revs drop at all outside of park?

I am thinking that the manual shift valve on the valve body may have come loose so that when you shift the linkage it's moving however its not moving this valve. This valve ports the fluid internal in the valve body so that it flows to the proper areas for the gear selected. It also appears that the park detent is not operated by this manual valve like it is with a C4 and C6 so I would expect that the rear wheels can be manually turned if the tranny shifter is placed in neutral. If you remove the pan look in the general area of where the shifter linkage enters the case and see if its connected to a plunger like valve that moves into or out of the valve body when the shift lever is moved. This would probably be easier with 2 persons. While someone moves the gear selector another looks at valve body to see if this plunger is moving. I am guessing its still in the park selection.

As far as determining whether the transmission pump is working. Warm up the car for about 15 mins and then feel the cooler lines if they are hot then the fluid is probably being pumped ok. This does not tell you if the pump is good only that the pump is moving some fluid.

I tried to find a good picture of this control valve but could not find one for an FMX. The C4 and C6 have good pics of this but it appears an FMX is entirely different. I can show you how a C4/6 works if you are interested.

Lastly my knowledge of auto trannys is limited so I hope that someone else on this forum can chime in here too and confirm whether this may be the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back