Turn Key One Crank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351 Cleveland
PS, PB, A/C, rear defrost
Usual Ford nonsense. Could be low battery, the connections at the starter are bad, the ground is bad, or the solenoid is bad. Any advice before I dig in? Battery was on a trickle charger for two weeks and is showing 12.85V - bit low but enough?

Thanks

A quick and dirty check is to turn on the headlights when you crank. If they dim substantially, it's a voltage issue....likely a battery or connection. If they remain bright, it's switch issue...solenoid/ignition.

Out here in Phx, the change in season is the most common time for batteries to fail. The inner-cell connectors fatigue and crack and when they cool down, the crack separates and you lose a portion of the battery. They can still produce good voltage until you load them up.

It is the change of season here. I put a quick charger on at 50 amps and at least got the lights and radio back. Sounds like the battery is shot - that will be my first move tomorrow before actually getting dirty.

Back