71 Mach shut down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're gonna buy a new battery cable anyways, you can buy a reproduction one that runs from the battery to the fender apron to the block. I'm running this set.

It matched the stock ones I pulled off very closely. Anything past that is gonna be you cobbling something together just like the "electrician" did before you.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-clas...-air-conditioning-351ho-351-1972-1973/p/BC14/
Ahh thanks for this! now this will feed my I can't just get one thing from this store mentality and browse some more 😂

This is one of those pictures where the longer you look at it, the worse it gets. :D
Did he cut a section out of an orange household extension cord for this? I will bet money you will eventually find a blue plastic electrical box with a 120AC light switch and some red/yellow wire nuts somewhere in the wiring of this car.

Interior dome light is gonna be an overhead light fixture from lowes.

1724089633003.png

This is one of those pictures where the longer you look at it, the worse it gets. :D
Did he cut a section out of an orange household extension cord for this? I will bet money you will eventually find a blue plastic electrical box with a 120AC light switch and some red/yellow wire nuts somewhere in the wiring of this car.

View attachment 92183
Haha wait till I get home and I'll take pictures of the things I took out but that was ran to the front of the grill where a hand switch that started the car. I'm going to include these exterior pictures and inside as they actually help ease the pain of looking at that lol

Attachments

• PXL_20240817_231234383~2.jpg
    PXL_20240817_231234383~2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240818_194705824.jpg
    PXL_20240818_194705824.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240817_231248914.jpg
    PXL_20240817_231248914.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240817_231009808.jpg
    PXL_20240817_231009808.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1

View attachment 92183
As promised here is the box of stuff I have removed as that extension cord went to electrical two button switch below which was right by the hood latch to turn the car over. The other picture was the kill switch that was underneath the dash. Have to find the blue print he created with the everything he did🫨🫨

Attachments

• PXL_20240819_230429388.jpg
    PXL_20240819_230429388.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240819_230439479.jpg
    PXL_20240819_230439479.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240819_230500304.jpg
    PXL_20240819_230500304.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
As promised here is the box of stuff I have removed as that extension cord went to electrical two button switch below which was right by the hood latch to turn the car over. The other picture was the kill switch that was underneath the dash. Have to find the blue print he created with the everything he did🫨🫨
IF I'm understanding correctly, that Yellow two button was used in lieu of the factory ingntion switch ??!!

Why why why..... Ripping that rats nest out must have been satisfying !
Until his car stopped working. :D

From the way he described it, I think when OP removed the rats net of wiring, he may have pulled a wire that caused the alternator to stop charging the battery. From then on, he was driving on just whatever life was left in the battery. Once he drove that 1000ft from the house, the battery finally ran out of juice and the car died.

I’ve seen some bad wiring but this takes the cake. If it were me, I would rip all of that wiring out and start fresh. The guy that wired all of that should have been electrocuted. You’re lucky the car died where it did and not on the freeway or any other unsafe location.

If its in the budget I would get it completely rewired. I am dealing with the same problem in mine (although visually yours is much worse), and started from scratch. PO spliced into sections of wiring, used whatever color was on hand, and gave me all kinds of issues. On top of that, distinct burning smell coming from under the dash. Think of replacing all of it as an insurance policy not to go up in flames on the side of the road.

From the way he described it, I think when OP removed the rats net of wiring, he may have pulled a wire that caused the alternator to stop charging the battery. From then on, he was driving on just whatever life was left in the battery. Once he drove that 1000ft from the house, the battery finally ran out of juice and the car died

From the way he described it, I think when OP removed the rats net of wiring, he may have pulled a wire that caused the alternator to stop charging the battery. From then on, he was driving on just whatever life was left in the battery. Once he drove that 1000ft from the house, the battery finally ran out of juice and the car died.
I did the removal process in September of last year and have been driving the car regularly. Something was bound to be missed by me from what I started with it😂 But this weekend I'm going to work on getting those grounds properly installed along with pulling back some wiring to see what we look like . I had the jumpers on it last night but all I could get was the starter solenoid clicking away.

If its in the budget I would get it completely rewired. I am dealing with the same problem in mine (although visually yours is much worse), and started from scratch. PO spliced into sections of wiring, used whatever color was on hand, and gave me all kinds of issues. On top of that, distinct burning smell coming from under the dash. Think of replacing all of it as an insurance policy not to go up in flames on the side of the road.
Yeah it's exhausted me last year. I thought I was in a good place but with the input of others I have ground issues I need to resolve and to spend some more time on the wiring in general

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240820-194932.png
    Screenshot_20240820-194932.png
    2 MB · Views: 1
Update folks!! I got the cables recommended from CJ pony parts and worked on rewiring everything that looked like it needed some TLC . I grounded everything I possibly could I even grounded my kids just for extra measure. And after everything she started cranking up with some ferocity. So looks like it was a success! Thanks everyone for the insight and help. I'm sure I'll be inquiring again as your all saw what I started with!

Attachments

• PXL_20240831_174135995.jpg
    PXL_20240831_174135995.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back