*Updated*1973 Mach 1 Value Help...would like to buy...rare car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... I must have missed the part about the missing dash VIN. You could have all kinds of problems getting a titled issued depending on what state you try to get it registered in. As an example, I bought my car last June, it's now February and SC still has not issued me a SC title because GA, where I bought the car doesn't issue titles on vehicles older than 1982... that is what I was told. All my numbers do match and I'm still working this issue with SC...

Very risky with missing dash VIN.

These cars are older and someone might have taken that dash vin and put on another car. ANd then maybe the tag agent just went on what he saw on that car's dash vin...

Maybe you can run a search to see if a car with that vin is currently insurred in the US? Maybe contact your state's DMV and see if they can search? Or get with an insurance agent? Just trying to brainstorm how I'd want to verify the car was OK.

Be careful!

Ray

Title or not, the bumper mounts on the taillight panel and the lower quarters under the valance look questionable - I suspect hidden rust.

-Kurt
It is a 73 quarter extensions are different - I see zero rust on that car.

Plus the man said he looked it over and it is clean.

Wow... I must have missed the part about the missing dash VIN. You could have all kinds of problems getting a titled issued depending on what state you try to get it registered in. As an example, I bought my car last June, it's now February and SC still has not issued me a SC title because GA, where I bought the car doesn't issue titles on vehicles older than 1982... that is what I was told. All my numbers do match and I'm still working this issue with SC...
73stangcoupe, it is true that in Georgia, anything older than 25 years doesn't require a title. I titled both my 79 Toyota 4x and my 71 stang when I got it. But it wasn't required.

Toolman... Not to be confused with actual registration, but that is what the dealership and later SC DMV told me. Any vehicle older than 1982, GA is not required to issue a title. The dealership gave me a form for my DMV and I'm still screwing with this. I'm sure there is more to follow...

Yeah, I know, I still titled both of mine anyway, just because when I lived in Idaho it was required, and I just like the idea of having one. And it is 25 years old I believe.... that us what the DMV told me when I got my titles.

Even if California issues you a title with the original VIN of the car you won't have a dash VIN,right?? I think without the original FORD stamped 71 dash VIN the value is going to be affected. You would invest more money in the car and potentially never get it back out of the car.

In Rhode Island, if the car is 10 yrs or older you don't need a title to regester.

But if the car came from out of state they need to do a VIN search, to verify its not stolen, before it can be registerd.

But missing a dash VIN tag is a huge red light for them, they would have to rip the fender off and go from there.

As for value, I would assume it would have an affect on it, because if you sell the car, it will be seen as red flag for the future buyer.

Back