Warning: Jegs #15053 fuel line for Holley - nylon washers spewing fuel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'68 Plymouth Satellite
Though this didn't happen under the hood of one of my Mustangs, it could have just as well, and would have set any of our cars aflame:

This morning, I proceeded to fire up the '78 Lincoln, which has been inactive for the last 8 months. I have a Holley 600 on it with a Jegs #15053 fuel inlet line which moves the fuel inlet from the left side of the carb to the right:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/15053/10002/-1

This setup was parked with no problems. Got it ready, cranked it up, and within seconds, I had a swimming pool of gasoline on the intake manifold. This was right after I shut down, dried it up, and stuffed a rag onto the intake to keep the fuel from spreading:

2na3awz.jpg

I wiped everything down, and cranked it. Gasoline began spraying out of the nylon washers in every direction. The nylon washers had taken the shape of the bolt and no longer held the shape:

33y2obc.jpg

I might add that the car did develop a light fuel smell when I parked it. Chances are I was spraying a light mist in the engine compartment and didn't even know it.

I don't suggest the use of this part without alternate washers. I tried a set of copper compression washers, but they leaked immidiately. The banjo bolt of the Jegs part is larger than Holley's, so I'm not sure if Holley washers will exchange onto this part.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
most likely constant heat soak cycles that softened the nylon and eventually it lost its seal against the banjo bolt.

I FREAKING HATE those types of fuel lines, in fact after a string of fuel line issues involving holley DP Lines and a similar banjo issue, i only trust AN setups now.

it cost me a TON but i converted to a total AN setup with Clown colored fuel lines as the only way to solve the problem with leaks.

another thing to watch for on 4150 and 4160 holleys, there is a brass filter insert located inside the fuel inlets for the bowls, they are spring loaded but they get stuck inside.

what happened was they got pinched when i switched fuel lines because the DP made in china fuel lines kept leaking, so i switched to a better style and i had to take the threaded inserts out of the fuel bowls, well i didn't know the filters were inside the bowls and when i popped on the new inlet lines i crushed the insert WRECKED the threads and spewed fuel everywhere because it felt like the fuel lines fully seated when they did not(crushed against the brass filter inserts) so i had to swap 2 new bowls in to my new carb and then after repeated leaking lines from several companies i converted to Full AN fuel lines.

a big middle finger to all those 1 piece DP fuel lines BTW.

most likely constant heat soak cycles that softened the nylon and eventually it lost its seal against the banjo bolt.

With one problem:

This car probably saw 10 runs with this setup before it was parked and left dormant for the last 8 months. If that was all that it took, then these things would be failing in weeks.

-Kurt

Back