weak tach signal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travolta

Reaction score
My Car
71 Convertible
I have a 71, 351C with factory tach/funtioning gauges. I recently installed a mallory unilite 47 series distributior and petronix coil. I cannot seem to get the tachometer to accurately read the signal from the coil. The car idles at around 800-900RMP, but the tach reads at around 200RPM. When I rev the motor, the tach barely moves up to around 700RPM. I hooked my tach/dwell meter directly to the coil and it properly reads 800-900RPM at idle, so Im thinking the problem is somewhere between the coil and the tach. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help. i appreciate it. i was told by the tech guy at mallory that an adapter was not needed. i was also told that the tach wire goes to the positive side of the coil, but I thought the tach received it's signal from the negative side. can you confirm if the tach wire goes to the positive or negative side of the coil?

that is because all the new ignition systems are not compatible with the older tachs, on the MSD there is a tach converter that changes the signal so the old tach reads correctly.

We put a Pertronix coil and electronic "points" in my '71 M-code and the tach works fine.

mike

Latest posts

Back