Weather stripping and door panel questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
Few questions for you guys here. As you can see my weather stripping is shot, as well as maybe my window needing an alignment. I have gone on NPD but I am struggling to figure out what this piece is actually called, as well as how to go about replacing it (picture 1). I think these are the links but not entirely sure. I know picture 2 is the front door seal which I found. My next question is with the door panels. My driver side is in decent shape, but the passenger side is fairly warped, I am assuming it got wet at some point although visually it looks decent. I am going to try to repair the fiber board backing so I can use all of the clips, most were torn out at some point. Looks like some forum members used velcro? Because of the side mirror adjuster, I can't replace these with the standard ones. Any good tips on how to go about "restoring" a panel? Just spent about $1200 on a dash pad, and front bucket upholstery/foam, so new panels aren't in the budget right now. As far as good news goes, my motor is finally done at the machine shop! Hoping all the work is finished and finally making her way on the street by March.

Also, going to pull the trigger on some ACC carpet. Full molded set with the fold downs and shifter cut. Current carpet looks decent but at 50 years old, and sitting for so long, its time to swap that out. Should get rid of the musty smell too.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/weatherstrip-quarter-window-front-lh/196034/202940
https://www.npdlink.com/product/weatherstrip-quarter-window-front-rh/196033/202940?year=1973

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You can repair the ripped out retainer holes with fiberglass. Get some new clips for when you reinstall the panel. Depending on how warped the panel is you may want to supplement the clips with industrial strength Velcro.
Thank you! I have seen some guys use fiberglass (never worked with it so could be a learning experience), wood glue, or superglue that reinforces it. Didn't imagine the super glue would soak into the board but I could be wrong. The passenger side is warped a fairly good amount so I will definitely be trying the Velcro. Are those links the correct weather strip sections that I need? From reading they are a slight pain to get out as they are crimped at the bottom but I should be able to handle it.

Thank you! I have seen some guys use fiberglass (never worked with it so could be a learning experience), wood glue, or superglue that reinforces it. Didn't imagine the super glue would soak into the board but I could be wrong. The passenger side is warped a fairly good amount so I will definitely be trying the Velcro. Are those links the correct weather strip sections that I need? From reading they are a slight pain to get out as they are crimped at the bottom but I should be able to handle it.
Yes, those are correct.
Wood glue may work depending on how bad the holes are ripped up. If they aren't too bad wood glue or just fiberglass resin should work, though I prefer the resin. If they're worse, fiberglass mat and resin allows you to reconstruct the openings.
Post a picture of the warped panels; there are a few things you can try to straighten them if it's just the fiberboard.
Has the shop finished the engine and driveline? I may have missed an update or two.

Yes, those are correct.
Wood glue may work depending on how bad the holes are ripped up. If they aren't too bad wood glue or just fiberglass resin should work, though I prefer the resin. If they're worse, fiberglass mat and resin allows you to reconstruct the openings.
Post a picture of the warped panels; there are a few things you can try to straighten them if it's just the fiberboard.
Has the shop finished the engine and driveline? I may have missed an update or two.
I am thinking I will have to go the fiberglass mat/resin. If I remember correctly there were some openings that were missing the material more so than just ripped. As soon as I get a minute to pull those panels off I will throw a picture up here. But got the replacement clips/some weather stripping ordered this afternoon.

Yep got a call right before the weekend that the machine shop had finally finished, they will be picking the motor up this week and shortly after will start assembly! The transmission cleanup/rebuild was completed a few months ago so that's all good to go as well.

Yes, those are correct.
So it is actually just the passenger side. I haven’t touched the driver side door panel, all the clips are attached so I’m not going to mess with it. This is the passenger side. Definitely got wet and caused everything to swell. I have the fiberglass pads and resin all ready to go for the holes, with not sure how to tackle how warped this is. Doesn’t want to hang properly in the window channel towards the front. I included a picture of the driver side for a comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_1401.jpeg
    IMG_1401.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1402.jpeg
    IMG_1402.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1406.jpeg
    IMG_1406.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
So it is actually just the passenger side. I haven’t touched the driver side door panel, all the clips are attached so I’m not going to mess with it. This is the passenger side. Definitely got wet and caused everything to swell. I have the fiberglass pads and resin all ready to go for the holes, with not sure how to tackle how warped this is. Doesn’t want to hang properly in the window channel towards the front. I included a picture of the driver side for a comparison.
Well, that's very warped!
If you want to try to straighten in some you can use steam to soften the board, then use weights (bricks, sandbags, etc.) and blocks (bricks, boards, etc.) to press the panel back into shape--or at least closer into shape. It would take some time to work your way around the panel. Steam, shape, dry, move to the next section, repeat. Patience is in order.
If you decide to try this then I'd wait and do the fiberglass work until the straightening is done.

Well, that's very warped!
If you want to try to straighten in some you can use steam to soften the board, then use weights (bricks, sandbags, etc.) and blocks (bricks, boards, etc.) to press the panel back into shape--or at least closer into shape. It would take some time to work your way around the panel. Steam, shape, dry, move to the next section, repeat. Patience is in order.
If you decide to try this then I'd wait and do the fiberglass work until the straightening is done.
Yeah I knew it was in fairly rough shape, but at the time the priority was getting the passenger side window out of the door and functional. I’ll go the steam and weight route. Really nothing to lose minus time. If it doesn’t work at least I can bite the bullet on new panels knowing I tried. Thanks for the game plan!!

Maybe others will chime in with more techniques.
Well Sheriff your genius knows no bounds. The steamer/weight technique worked even better than I expected. I am going over the bottom section after work tonight to get that a little straighter, but the big warped section up at the top looks back to normal. The replacement clips came in the mail, but I will probably save those for when I ultimately get new panels down the road. In the meantime I will definitely go the velcro route to save the hassle of fiberglassing them.

New carpet will be coming in this week. Part of me wants to wait until spring time in AZ so I can let the heat get the wrinkles out/apply the dynomat. On the flip side I’ll have my seats out to get reupholstered soon so might as well do it then. But for the life of me cannot figure out how to get this shifter bezel off. From what I read there’s only 2 screws holding it in when I remove the ash tray and then it just lifts off?

Attachments

• IMG_1412.png
    IMG_1412.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 1
Back