Weatherstrip Assembly - What works best?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Hello gang!

I need a little opinion/advice to get moving again on my restoration.

What works best to re-assemble the A-Pillar to C-Pillar weatherstrip assembly?

1) Drip rail first? anything between that and the body? What about the foam that was in place on the A-pillar between the drip rail and the body? Do I ound and polish my original drip rail, or are the repops a good purchase?

2) Bright finish weatherstrip channel. - I assume they used 1/2 inch wide open cell weathertrip foam for this. The cheap stuff at the auto parts store. Is there a better product to use here that will not degrade fit or appearance? There are 2 sealing surfaces on this weatherstrip channel. One seals upward toward the roof and the drip rail, the second seals toward the interior against the tack strips. What is used to seal the inward facing surface?

Any other good advice? I want to get the project moving again!

View attachment 21626

View attachment 21627

View attachment 21628

I use closed cell foam. 1/2"-3/4 wide. It's pretty stiff and about 1/8" to 3/16" thick. Its like camper shell sealer. I think the open cell stuff would allow water to pass.

Got mine from Mustangs Unlimited.. comes on a roll... Works well.

Back