Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Good Day All:

The question for this week has to do with VINs. Specifically, in the VIN 1F02H244824, it would appear to be attached to a 1971 (1), Dearborn created (F), two-door Hardtop Mustang (02), 351 2v (H) with Serial number 244824. A view of the actual vehicle will show something other than a Mustang. The key is the Series Code (02 - the third and fourth digit of the VIN). The question this week is:

What other make and model shared the same Series Code (02) as the two-door hardtop Mustangs from 1971 - 1973?

Who will be the first to respond correctly to this question?

Enjoy!

BT

Good point, BUT the question was not meant to be a "tricky" one - - I would not do that to you guys :).

For purposes of this question, the reference is referring to the hard top (Fast Back version) and not the "regular" hard top. However, as a hint the question could also apply to the 1971 version of the "regular" '71 Mustang and this particular make and model sharing the same (01) series code. It would not apply to the 1972 and 1973 Mustang versions.

Any other ideas?

BT

I find it hard to believe that I finally threw one out there that you guys could not answer!

Anyway, as strange as it may sound, the answer is the Mercury Monterey!

From 1971 through 1973, the four-door Monterey Sedan shared the same Series Code (02) as the '71 - '73 Mustang Hard Tops (Fast Backs).

Additionally, the 1971 two-door Monterey shared the same Series Code (01) as the 1971 Mustang Hard Tops (Regular, non-fast back).

Source: 44th Auto-Truck Interchange Edition, The Hollander

More to come next week!

BT

something doesn't make sense to me the Mercury Monterey

came in 4 body styles but those were a 3 digit body code not 2 digits. and included a letter.

54A 4 dr. Sedan

57A 4 dr. Hardtop

65A 2 dr. Hardtop

76G 2 dr. Convertible

The question was referring to the 2-digit Series Code, the third and 4th digit found within the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), not the body code, per se.

In the example the VIN 1F02H294824 breaks down as follows

1 = 1971

F = Assembly Plant (Dearborn in this case)

02 = Mustang Fast Back (Montego 4-door Sedan in this case)

H = 351 2BC

294824 = Vehicle Serial Number

Hope that helps to explain it.

BT

humm, interesting my understanding is that mercury used longer vin numbers.

actually maybe whats throwing me is that mercury didn't use the dear born plant?

i'm used to seeing H and K in the second spot.

Yes, I can accept that without reservation - - the possible assembly plant code "disconnect" within the cited VIN could have thrown you off. I understand that the vast majority (if not all) of the Montegos for this period were built at the Lorain, Ohio assembly plant.

The number of digits in the VIN are the same for both cars.

http://classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=6122&year=1971&model=32878

The main focus of the question was to show that the "Series Codes" (02) used within the referenced VINs are the same for certain Mustangs and Montegos that were built during the period 1971 - 1973.

That having been said, very good "Eye" on the assembly plant "disconnect", 72HCODE. I see that as another "hint" for consideration when reviewing a possible fraudulent VIN for authenticity - - GREAT information!

I will try to ensure greater accuracy in future questions:).

BT

Back