WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS--IDEA--ROTISSERIE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I've been looking around for a used rotisserie for the last month"

I made one out of wood that was much simpler. That was pre digital pic days so I will try to describe it.

We cut 2 giant half circles out of 3/4 inch plywood and sandwiched 2x4 spokes between them and bolted everything together. The diameter was 6 inches wider than max width of the 68 Torino Fastback we were doing. Made one for the front of the car and one for the rear. Fabed up some substancial metal brackets that aligned with factory bumper bolt holes in the front frame rails. Used 4x4 blocks to space it off of the rear tail panel and bolted it using the rear bumper bolt holes and long high grade bolts.

Jack up the front and bolt on the big wooden half wheel, jack up the back and bolt on the other half wheel and now the car is sitting about 2 feet off of the ground between the wooden "rollers". The trick is to mount the car low between the rollers while staying within the radius so that no part of the car sticks out enough to contact the shop floor.

To "rotisserie" your car simply grab something and lift. It works just like a giant rocking chair. It takes very little effort to roll it to a 45 degree angle and when you have it where you wanted you just put chock between the roller and the floor (chunk of 2x4).

Because this set up is bottom heavy the more vertical you got the car the harder it was to lift. I made a simple stop at the top to keep from ever rolling it completely over but never got close to needing it. By the time the body was close to being fully sidways it was just too heavy to push it the last little bit and have it fall over.

When level the car was high enough to work on the lower panels but still low enough to work the top of the quarters and roof pillar. It was also low and stable enough to get in it and work on the interior.

When on its side it was only 6 inches off of the ground so you could get to the entire floor pan plus the underside was clear with no rotisserie legs to step over or work around. To work on the roof just pull out the chock and roll it the other way.

We did the whole car inside and out, ready to paint, including the full suspension, with the car mounted between the rollers.

I still own the rights to this and was going to sell it as a kit but the market was so small and the liability was too high to make a go of it.

The last one we made the buyer sat it on some heavy rollers bolted to his shop floor so it could rotate in place. He also planned on putting a small electric motor on but it rolled so easy by hand that it was not needed.

I had hoped that it was going to make me rich but that has not happened so far.

Clear as mud?

Paul

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Thanks Scott for posting this. For the past few weeks I have been thinking about how I'm going to flip the Mach up on its side. Paul I'm all over this setup that your talking about. Post some pics and dimensions soon. thanks. Mike

It's interesting I just noticed an ad for the Rotokit you mentioned in the first post of this thread. It's in the February edition of the MCA Mustang Times.

Ok guy's

I decided to build a set of Pauls half circle design that he so graciously posted up..I pretty much have it figured out & will pickup the materials today..Pics to follow..I'm thinking I'm about a month away from being ready to use them..

Ok guy's

I decided to build a set of Pauls half circle design that he so graciously posted up..I pretty much have it figured out & will pickup the materials today..Pics to follow..I'm thinking I'm about a month away from being ready to use them..
Cool deal Scott. I'm as well about a month out on building a set. I have red Paul's post 3 times and got a good idea how to make them. I can't wait to see the (Q code) version. :D

Ok, so its been over a month on this, any progress? I am looking for some type of rotisserie myself and would love to save money.

Thanks

Mike

Ok, so its been over a month on this, any progress? I am looking for some type of rotisserie myself and would love to save money.

Thanks

Mike
Not yet Mike..Had a little setback time wise..But I'm close..Will post up for sure when I do make them.

Coll man, appreciate it. I cant wait to see it. Im in no big hurry since I have to have knee surgery next week. However, after recouping, I will be balls to the walls stripping my car..

I've been looking around for a used rotisserie...I saw on one of the camaro forums
I imagine the Chevy guys thought of it because I know if I had a Chevy, I would want to roast it.

Coll man, appreciate it. I cant wait to see it. Im in no big hurry since I have to have knee surgery next week. However, after recouping, I will be balls to the walls stripping my car..
Hey Mike. Scott (Qcode351mach) is the guy I mentioned to you who shares very unselfishly his vast knowledge about body work. I've come to fully trust his advice on this subject.

Post up an intro thread so we all can give you a proper welcome. Careful though, this site may convince to get a big body. ;)

now that's a damn good input! if i decide to do another restoration, which might happen, i'll surely come back and pick up this thread. does anyone have blue prints so i can build it here in austria?

thanks

abudi

Sorry I have been AWOL. The group I am with is the fighting Obama Care at the Supreme Court. It has been our lawyers actually presenting to the Justices. - Cool but I have been slammed.

The biggest trick is to make certian that the car is mounted below the center line of the half circle.

I am have not done this but I suggest to just take 3 sheets of plywood and bolt up a plywood "samach" instead of a spoke "samach". Then you can mount the car at any height that it need to be. Simple and more strong?

Post picks and send royalty checks my way!

- Paul

Ok guy's

Sorry I have been AWOL. The group I am with is the fighting Obama Care at the Supreme Court. It has been our lawyers actually presenting to the Justices. - Cool but I have been slammed.

Post picks and send royalty checks my way!

- Paul
God Bless you, and keep up the fight!

Lots of cool ideas here...just not sure I'd trust wood??? The Camaro guys have the advantage of the shell being much shorter being a sub-frame car as opposed to unibody. But hell, if I wasn't working at a welding shop years ago when I built mine and got all my material from the scrap pile and free castors off a project we were working on that needed different ones, I'd've built mine outta wood too! I'd offer mine up for sale, but I'm a few weeks away from cutting it up and making it into a dolly so I can start hanging sheet metal. :)

We did a 1968 Torino and it worked so smooth and it stored flat against the wall when not in use.

We did have to tie a rope from the bottom of the rear half circle to the diff housing because it wanted to flare out a bit.

The front was rock solid with the steel brackets.

Would not want to do it with the engine or trans in it.

Paul

Lots of cool ideas here...just not sure I'd trust wood??? The Camaro guys have the advantage of the shell being much shorter being a sub-frame car as opposed to unibody. But hell, if I wasn't working at a welding shop years ago when I built mine and got all my material from the scrap pile and free castors off a project we were working on that needed different ones, I'd've built mine outta wood too! I'd offer mine up for sale, but I'm a few weeks away from cutting it up and making it into a dolly so I can start hanging sheet metal. :)

Back