What is this bracket for near gas tank??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

What is the purpose of this bracket (one on both sides of gas tank, in pic it is the one with green twist that someone routed air shock line through) and does something bolt to it?

Jeff

235tu9.jpg

It's for the exhaust hanger for the tail pipe. there's one on each side of the fuel tank.

Thanks Travis...

My car had the original dual exhaust when purchased but nothing was attached to those brackets.

Does someone have a pic they could share that shows what part I am missing?

Thanks Much

Jeff

It's for the exhaust hanger for the tail pipe. there's one on each side of the fuel tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lied. I always thought that was where the tail pipe hangers mounted, but after doing a little research, I proved myself wrong. Now I'm not sure what goes there...... Anybody want to chime in????

I don't remember anything being attached to those. I assumed that they were some kind of reference points for the frame and body. I'd like to know too.

-jbojo

Factory workers used them to hang the tank, when installing it on the assembly line

Agree with Don on this one. They were used as a lifting point in the plant to raise and hold the tank while the straps were installed. Imagine lifting a couple hundres tanks a day on the line. When my trunk floor was replaced these brackets were not reinstalled. Thanx to others here on the forum I obtained some brackets and the proper dimensions for installation. Prior posts to help with dimensions.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-under-trunk-gas-tank-bracket

Last edited by a moderator:
they are right, was used for the factory jigs to line up the gas tank.

when I replaced my trunk floor, I put them back, but they were interfering with the gas tank ( I guess I miss measured), so they are there but look different after meeting a hammer :D

Back