What should I look for first ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint Sportsroof
My new Mustang has only 900 miles on her since March of 2007. I have put 52 on her. When I accelerate the engine instantly bogs down almost to the point of shutting down. Even a small amount of pedal bogs the engine down. I made it home and was wondering what to look at first. Any thoughts? Thank you!

My new Mustang has only 900 miles on her since March of 2007. I have put 52 on her. When I accelerate the engine instantly bogs down almost to the point of shutting down. Even a small amount of pedal bogs the engine down. I made it home and was wondering what to look at first. Any thoughts? Thank you!
I'm no expert but the first thing I would look at is the carb. It could be sucking air or just gummed up from old gas?

I'm sure someone else here will have better tips for you!

well I replaced the fuel filter.....it was filthy, ton of stuff in there. I am going to install new Plug wires, voltage regulator, (From Marti's), points, etc and see if that helps. Wouldn't surprise me if the gas is dirty.....I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!

Could be a lot of rust in the fuel tank and lines; you may want to install a glass fuel filter to monitor what is coming through. Your new fuel filter could get clogged up in just a few miles if there is a lot of crude in the tank!

May I suggest running a fuel filter before the fuel pump and one before the carb in the conventional place. The filter before the pump should catch most of the crap. Have you replaced the fuel? The car will run like poo with old / bad fuel.

If there is that much in it, you might as well pull the tank, drain it and look in there with a flashlight. you will need a new sock on the tank gauge pick up as well. Or, you can keep fighting it till it strands you.

If there is that much in it, you might as well pull the tank, drain it and look in there with a flashlight. you will need a new sock on the tank gauge pick up as well. Or, you can keep fighting it till it strands you.
Just took it out with the new fuel filter....ran flawlessly, really fast, just like one would expect. Soooooo I will drop the tank and see where to go. No point at all in fighting it. Worst case I'll get a new tank....pretty easy access. Thanks guys!

Just took it out with the new fuel filter....ran flawlessly, really fast, just like one would expect. Soooooo I will drop the tank and see where to go. No point at all in fighting it. Worst case I'll get a new tank....pretty easy access. Thanks guys!
Out came rust flakes eh? Not a good sign. Where did the flakes come from? How did it pass the fuel sending unit's filter? I would get a new fuel sending unit or at least get a new filter basket and get yourself the special tool to remove and install the fuel tank filler lock rings and also make sure you get new gaskets for the rings. Should come with a new fuel sending unit, but you can get them seperately. The special tool makes the job so much easiers than trying to use a screw driver to spin the rings. Also, when the tanks off and the fuel line is disconnected from both ends (Fuel pump and gas tank), blow compressed air in the line to clear any lodged rust flakes. I'm doing a '73 now and mine was so bad that I opt to replace all the fuel lines.

I have almost the same problem as you... My car was 10 years sitting and not that it runs, the carb is redone and that stuff but it has no power... Yes.. it is a I6, low compression for export engine so I cant expect a drag race car :p but my tank is the factory original... Doesn´t leak but even the car is running, i know the gas is dirty... I didn´t even change the fuel filter and it has a glass one... Totally blacked out of crap...

As soon as i can, i´ll pull the tank out and clean it the best i can... Maybe try to clean the fuel lines too and then, add a finter before the gas pump and another one after the pump too in order to make sure the carb is working with clean gas...

My wires are old too, as my sparks... so that´s another issue to take care...

Bottom line... everybody is right... we are gonna have to do everything that they are telling in order to make our cars run as they supposed to run :)

Good luck!

Replace the tank and then replace the filter again. All rust in the fuel will go away & the car will run great. Then do plug wires if you like.

Been there, done that. It was finally fixed when I put in a new tank.

Back